Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

How Did That Happen?

Yesterday.  It all hit me right between the eyes.  Well, if we must be technical it happened a few days before when my Mr. M told me he did NOT want to go to the local Junior High again this year.  Would I please home school him, anything but go back there.

I can remember asking my mom the same thing.  Please home school me.  I don't want to go back to the public school.  I talked to Mr. M and his reasons were valid.  He's sick of being in an environment where the language and conversations are a daily beating of his spirit and soul.  Last year I let him use my MP3 player so he could block it all out and listen to wholesome music.  But you can't listen to MP3 players during school hours so that only worked during the bus rides to and from school.

There is a local charter school here that I've heard great things about.  I asked Mr. M if he would like to go to that school.  Try it out.  I went yesterday and applied.  It's a lottery system for getting the students into the school.  I was told there is a waiting list and it is a first come first serve type thing.

A few hours later............ I get a call, another 8th grade student had dropped out, would Mr. M like his place.  YES!!!  We're thrilled.  And then.......... I realized.  School starts next week.  NEXT WEEK!

Mr. C and Mr. T start on Monday at their high school and Mr. M starts on Wednesday.

I THOUGHT I HAD ANOTHER WEEK!  I was going to load up The Native's next week and go home to Montana for a week.  I had a week before school started and somehow....... I lost it.  I didn't realize that Mr. T and Mr. C start on Monday and...........  argh!

I've not school shopped, I've not gone and paid fees or handed in paper work for these schools, our family hasn't gone on a vacation this summer (just our little family) and............ NOW SUMMER IS OVER!

How did THAT happen???

22 comments:

  1. I know EXACTLY how you feel!!! I need another week :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy for the charter school....
    Sad for the imminent start...
    Happy that you love the time with your kids....
    Sad that all the mommas aren't like you...

    It's a happy/sad kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy that I met you because you always put out sunshine and rainbows when I see clouds. :D

      Delete
  3. I love Donna's comment.

    It's a happy/sad kind of thing for me, too. Just for a few different reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( I know. I'm sorry. I'm sure Freedom has a yearbook committee. :D

      Delete
    2. I'll admit that I bribed Mr M to get someone else to go to Freedom. They are offering a $200 award to reference 7, 8. 9 graders who decide to attend. I told Mr M to split the award with someone else...

      Delete
    3. I'll admit that I bribed Mr M to get someone else to go to Freedom. They are offering a $200 award to reference 7, 8. 9 graders who decide to attend. I told Mr M to split the award with someone else...

      Delete
  4. Amen. Summer is much too short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should do something about that! Petition the calender gods or something.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you have a good place for your boy. I'm sorry you lost a week of summer. Why does school start so stinking early?

    (I'm not starting school again until after Labor Day . . . oops, am I gloating? ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I'm laughing) You go right ahead and gloat!!! That is the beauty of home school!!! Which I'm still open to for Mr. M, just want to try this first.

      Delete
  6. Much the same way cobwebs and dust does........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren't you glad you've created wonderful memories all summer?? Best wishes on getting everything ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem! I don't feel like I have. We've been so busy with youth camps all summer. Sigh........ And so it goes.......

      Delete
  8. Chaz is feeling it, too. I'm not. I'M NOT!!! Mr. M could have homeschooled himself pretty thoroughly, ya know. Unless he wants to be in a choir. But bless his heart for being sensitive to the environment and choosing a quieter way than the default. Here's the deal, dear one - I'm not feeling it because my birds have flown. All of them now, completely. And I don't miss that feeling of the beginning of a commitment that supersedes (legally, but not really) the family constantly - and having the kids out of the house and dealing with all the sub commitments that come of having so many teachers who forget that they are not the only deal on the planet in that kid's life. But here is the price: I have to drive all the way to New Mexico to see my beloved first, and I have to know that my third is on the freaking freeway every morning and evening for an hour - and my youngest just moved all the way up the side of the mountain, and my first son is battling the same uphill livelihood climb we had to do - our trail blazing didn't make it one ounce easier for him.

    There is a price for not being the slightest bit affected by the starting of school. You are yet full=nested.

    Breathe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday he came home from his first day of school and with a big grin on his face said, "I didn't hear one swear word today mom"!!

      He's happy. I'm happy.

      Delete
  9. He just may have gotten Alex's spot. He got accepted a few months ago but decided he wanted to stay at Dixon. Now I'm nervous. M is one of the good ones. I took comfort knowing he was around, especially on the bus. It scares me how much filth is out there. SO sweet of M to notice and decide he wanted to do something about it. Hope the school year is WONDERFUL for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! You are kind. Mr. M is a good kid. I am grateful for his sensitivity. Alex is a good kid too though. Where ever he goes, he'll be a beacon of light.

      Delete
  10. Wait. School already? How long are the summer breaks? Our schools don't resume until the beginning of September (and they end mid-June for the high schoolers, and late June for the elementary kids).

    Eldest struggles with many aspects of high school as well. She doesn't "get" most of the pop culture kids. It is a culture that she has no interest in and is mystified by.

    So happy to hear that Mr. M was accepted to the charter school. Such a blessing to have options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dislike how early we start but when May comes and we're getting out before all of the other kids........ then I'm not complaining so much.

      Delete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!