Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Finisher

Today as I started my run of seven miles I wondered why in the world I signed up for this marathon.  What was I thinking???

It is cloudy and grey outside, the wind is blowing in such gusts that at times I was held and running in place and at other times, I was thrown from my path sideways.  The wind is so cold and chilling that my fingers are still numb trying to type.

I was so focused on trying to keep my eye on the rocky path I was running on which is full of pot holes that it took me awhile to realize that I was hearing the waves of our lake crashing against the rocks below me.  I would try to glance up to see the magnificence and beauty but would have to turn my eyes back to the path to keep from tripping.

As I finished my seven miles I smiled and knew why I'd signed up for the marathon and was once again glad that I had.  At the end of the race, I'll be given a ribbon with the words, "FINISHER" on it.  I'm not fast.  I won't get any medals of placement.  That doesn't matter to me.  What matters to me is that one word.  FINISHER.

While I was running today I thought about the race we are in called life.  While I run, I come in the path of strong winds that make me feel like I am not getting anywhere or thrown off of the path, I come across potholes, I trip and fall sometimes scraping my knees, I run out of breath, get stitches in my side, sore muscles, wonder if I can go on and why I'm even trying to run, and then I remember that at the end of this race, I'll have a ribbon put around my neck that says, "FINISHER" and I can't wait to cross that finish line to get that ribbon knowing I've trained hard, done my best, and run a good race.

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Says the woman who has already run a marathon and has kept running while carrying a little one! :D

      Delete
  2. Well done, good and faithful servant...you will hear those words when you get your ribbon! I think I am going to be almost as happy as you when you get that marathon finisher ribbon...so proud of you and so happy God is hearing the prayers for your continued good health. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Donna I do so hope I hear those words!! I know we're all trying our best and that is all that He asks of us. To keep trying and improving in our training. :D

      I know when I do finish my marathon, I will picture you jumping up and down for joy cheering me. You are a true friend. I love you bunches!!

      Delete
  3. Finisher. A wonderful word. Unassuming in its power. Perfect for a power*full woman who knows exactly where her strength comes from.

    A seven mile marathon!!! I am out of breath just thinking about it. Now you've got me thinking about life metaphors. I want a good life metaphor too. Something about knitting maybe. That would be more my plodding pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish a 7 mile marathon! That was a 7 mile run getting ready/training for my marathon of 26.2 miles in about a month and a half. Yikes! Running :D out of time!! I've got 16 miles on Saturday. My long run day. Each week I increase miles and am always amazed and astounded at what my body is capable of! God blessing me with the health to accomplish something I can't wrap my brain around as my legs continue to run hour after hour. Truly amazing.

      I'm glad my life metaphor is knitting. Oy Vey! With all of the frogging I do!!! I swear I unknit more than I actually knit!! Actually, that does kinda resemble my life. A whole lot of repenting all of the time. Yeah, knitting is a good life metaphor.

      Delete
    2. Do you see how very out of it I am about marathons? I was sure that 7 miles MUST be a marathon. Just a run. Ha - pant, pant, pant - ha! 26.2 miles???? I am gasping for air...

      Delete
    3. You're not out of it Wabi. 7 miles feels like a marathon I assure you! I'm still trying to figure out how I am going to manage 26.2!

      Delete
  4. The journey. Gotta love the journey or the destination doesn't mean anything. It's through the journey that the destination is determined. Something to the effect of that. :D Speaking of journeys....... how in the world are you doing???? Done unpacking yet? Moved in yet? I say this a million times but I mean it! Oh that we lived closer...........

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a definitely a finisher Rachel, a strong, determined, dedicated and wonderful one at that. And you are right, it's not about being first or best in a race or in life but about putting one foot in front of the other through good times and bad. Have missed you over the last few weeks and am happy to be back here catching up with you again xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed you too Julie!! I have been thinking about you and figured you are probably up to your eyeballs in mud and dirt and respite garden plans and hopefully it is close to finished if not finished?? I see you just posted on your blog so I'll hop on over and see what you've been up to! :D XXX000

      Delete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!