Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Levi Does Community Service

Having older brothers in the scouting program, earning merit badges, ranks, and their Eagle Scout rank is something Levi has been watching ever since he was born.

When he was old enough to join the scouting program he wanted to do what his brothers have done.  It's always been this way with Levi.  He sees and he wants to do/copy.

Levi is working on his Citizenship in the Community merit badge right now.  One of the requirements is 8 hours of community service.  Yes, 8 HOURS!!  We've done 3 so far.  5 more hours to go!

Today walking the river trail picking up garbage:

Me:  Levi!  Look!  There's a piece of garbage!
Levi:  Look!  Dares a duck!  Why iz dat duck swimming dat way?
Me:  Levi.  You need to pick up this piece of garbage.
Levi:  I hear dogs barking.  Why are da dogs barking?
Me:  That is how dogs talk.  They are saying hello.  Now, let's pick up more garbage.
Levi:  Can we be done wif diz?  When iz da clock gonna be 6? (I told him we'd finish at 6:00 PM)
Me:  Levi, we still have 45 more minutes!  Let's keep walking and finding garbage.
Levi:  I'm hungry.  I'm hungry for lunch.
Me:  No, you already had lunch.  You are hungry for dinner.
Levi:  No I didn't!!  I didn't have lunch!  I'm hungry for lunch!!
Me:  (The dialogue continues about lunch and how he didn't have lunch, yes, he did..... at school.......... no I didn't..........  I'm hungry for lunch!)
Me:  Levi, we need to keep walking and finding garbage.
Levi:  What do I get when I finish picking up diz garbage?
Me:  Dinner.  We'll go home and have dinner.
Levi:  I'm hungry for dinner.  I'm ready to go home now.

Sigh..................  5 more hours to go before Saturday's merit badge pow wow when these requirements are supposed to be done so Levi can sign them off..........  Heaven help me...............

And why pray tell, you all are wondering, are we helping Levi to earn these merit badges when he has no concept of why or what any of these mean??  Because he wants to be just like his brothers and get merit badges and have them on his sash.  Sashes are cool!  He wants his sash covered in merit badges just like his brothers.  So, The SM and I continue to sit and take notes for Levi in classes that he is oblivious to and could care less about and we walk river trails picking up garbage that he could care less about because in the end, seeing Levi smiling and proud of his sash filling up with merit badges makes it all worth it.  At least that is what I keep telling myself.

Note to self:  Remember this sweet thought as you do the next 5 hours of community service......  and up the reward when finished.  Dinner doesn't cut it.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I love how you always send love and encouragement to me!

      Delete
  2. You're a champion. And so is he.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Levi makes everyone around him a champion. It's one of his many divine qualities.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Just doing what all of you mom's, teachers, aunties do. We do what needs to be done.

      Delete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!