Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

My Brain is Frozen!


Two mornings ago we realized that the sprinklers had been on all night.  One of the valves had broken and since the temperatures had dropped below freezing, the valve froze and wouldn't shut off.


Not a good situation but the artwork that was left behind was pretty amazing.


Amazing that these leaves froze where they were in their arc instead of being flattened and weighed down by the weight of the ice formed around them.


As I have stated in an earlier post (which has nothing to do with these photos......), I am trying to learn how to do math again.


I knew it wouldn't be easy.  That it would be a lot of work for me to remember what I'd learned years and years ago while I was in high school but what I didn't realize.......... was the wall I'd be up against!  Literally!


Look at each tiny blade of grass encapsulated.  It's like something you'd find in the ocean!

Sorry.  Back to my story/wall.  Another fantastic side effect from the West Nile Virus that I've been dealing with for way too many years is short term memory loss.


I knew it was a problem but boy has it been manifested as to just how big of a problem since I've started this learning of math all over again business.


Tears!  And lots of them!  Each day as I sit down to learn my new lesson I look glumly at what I am supposed to do, build on the lesson from the day before, only to draw a blank!  I've no recollection of the lesson from the day before!

So, I have to sit and go back, relearn the lesson from the day before, and the day before that, and the day before that, and so on, before I can start today's lesson!  To say each day is taking me longer and longer to do my math because of all of the having to go back and relearn is an understatement.

But, like these leaves, I refuse to bend and quit.  I will get through this math text book.  The SM may tape the formulas for volume and surface area to the insides of my eyeballs before we're done if I ask him one more time to explain/teach it to me.  I'm sure he feels like he is a broken record as I ask the same questions day after day and he sits and teaches me all over again day after day......

I'm really hoping that at some point the sun will come out and thaw my brain and I will start remembering and retaining this stuff otherwise what would be the point?  Other than to say that I did it.  I didn't quit.  I made it through the text book.  And that is good enough for me.  

14 comments:

  1. Cool pictures! Hang in there and don't freeze up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Hanging whilst trying not to freeze. Is this possible? :D

      Delete
  2. Your gift to you is your fighting spirit...you are strong and tenacious...you may be frozen, but you are not cold! You are warm and generous and math-able, even if it takes forever. If I was there, I would do the math with you, because I am tutoring 3rd graders in math this year and I could sure use a refresher!
    And the pictures are beyond amazing. I mean really, when do you see ice on green leaves?
    See how wise you are to find the beauty in the mess?
    Make a recording of the math formulas and sing them to yourself while you run....maybe???
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) My running partner and friend told me she'd start going over formulas with me while we ran. What a way to make running a chore! :D

      I do wish you could tutor me but then I'd be afraid you'd also get sick of teaching me the same thing day after day after day once you'd been refreshed. It gets old...... even for me learning it new each day. :)

      Ice on green leaves. It is amazing to see. When I was growing up and having to move sprinkler pipes in the fields, this is what it would look like in the fall in the early morning except on a bigger scale. THAT was cold!! I didn't like moving pipe during the summer. In the fall, I hated it! I did how ever marvel at the beauty even then....

      Delete
  3. WOOOAAAAH!!!!!!! I LOVE those pictures. Seriously. A-MAZ-ING!!!
    and as far as your math problem goes, I'm right there with ya sistah.
    Math is my enemy.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to arm ourselves against this common enemy! How much chocolate ammunition do you think we'll need?

      Delete
  4. We need to talk. And until then, just remember: There are two books written by equally optimistic authors. ONe is called Math Without Tears. The other is called Childbirth Without Pain. I've read both books and they are both up in the night.

    Love the photos - like I learned having kids - don't get mad, get the camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. A blog full of photos of me crying. Is that a good idea? :D

      Delete
  5. Ah, for me, things always add up when you're around. And you never had any problem with multiplying (neither do rabbits). I hope nothing ever divides us, because we go WAY deeper than the surface and the volume of my love for you will NEVER be divided. It will all balance out. And those bits of grass: they don't have to calculate their arcs.

    SHoot, I thought the frost on the pasture was bad - but you really did these cold mornings up right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me giggle. Trust you to take math and make a story out of it.

      I was telling Mr. T yesterday that when I check my answers I am always delightedly surprised when I get it right. He told me I should always think the answer is right and when I check and confirm, to think, "Oh yeah! I'm good! I knew it! BAM!" :D Math comes easy for the punk........... oh! And Mr. M. I'm doing my math yesterday spluttering about how hard it is. He looks at it and tells me it is easy. Oh yeah???? Mr. Smarty Pants? What is the answer to THIS problem? Takes him 3 seconds and he's got the correct answer. He does it several more times just to prove that he really is as good as he thinks he is...... which he is........ because math comes easy for that punk too. Which I am grateful for. More qualities/gifts their daddy gave them.

      Delete
  6. Ice. And math. Ick.

    But the ice encased blades of grass? Very cool. Which is not intended to be a pun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it's actually a really good pun!!! It's perfect actually.

      Delete
  7. The photos were soooo amaaaaazing. The variety of formations and the light reflecting off of the icicles. I think my favorite was the blades of grass. Way cool.

    I never got math. My kids never got math. I really don't know why you are torturing yourself with math. Rachel, you're an artist and your creativity knows no bounds. You have managed great success in your life without math. Maybe I need to read back a few posts and you'll tell me why you putting yourself through such tribulation.

    Well, it will have to be another evening. I've enjoyed catching up, but I have a meeting @ 7:15 a.m. and I need to be there with my eyes open. Thanks for sharing your inspiring life. It really lifts my spirits. I'm sure it does for other readers, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. An answer. How do I answer? The desire to continue my education. Where I am in math... the class/level I am at, I won't get college credit for. I have to test out of that level..... so I have to learn that level. :) Strangely, I like math. I'm not good at it, but I like it.

      You are so kind Ginger. From the first day I met you at Kristen's. You have always been so positive and uplifting and inspiring yourself!!! I am so glad I've gotten to know you over the years! You've helped me to look beyond when I am knocked down and have given me courage to get back up.

      Delete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!