Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Thursday, April 3, 2008

If I can't see you........you can't see me.

Do you remember when you used to think that? I don't either but I have kids who think that and it is the funniest thing.
"Jadon, it is time for bed". Jadon coveres his eyes or hides his head under a blanket and then is so surprised that I FOUND HIM! Cuz, I'm not supposed to be able to see him since he can't see me. I get the biggest kick out of this stage......or at least I did.........until.......I realized that I'm still in that stage...........I NEVER GREW OUT OF IT!

I have this shimmery silvery hair "issue" that I have to deal with at a VERY YOUNG AGE which means I have to get this bottle of stinky scalp burnin' junk and smear it all over my hair from time to time so that I can convince people that if I can't see the grey hairs then they can't either.

The problem is that I hate this whole process. I hate being grey but I also hate dying my hair so I do it as little as possible. I stand in front of the mirror and do my hair which consists of combing it out after I shower, let the air dry it, and yank it back. The shorter the amount of time one spends in front of the mirror the easier it is to convince oneself that they are skinny and not grey. I seriously (and this is the scary part because I really am convinced of this) that if my hair is pulled back and I kind of try to cover up the roots that are now five inches of grey exploding from my scalp and pretend they aren't there then other people won't notice either. And I really do convince myself of this! Until I see a photo of myself..........


I know........I was shocked too!

3 comments:

  1. what a great picture!
    I think your grey is cool actually. But I totally know what you mean. It's easy to convince yourself of how you look, until you look in the mirror. I try to avoid mirrors at all costs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This perspective is amazingly glaring when you teach or speak from the pulpit. I am always utterly amazed at the stuff kids will pull in a classroom, thinking NOBODY CAN SEE THEM - even when there are only three of them in the room. Sometimes I stop the lesson and look at them and say - "Well, DUH. You need a mirror????"

    And that thing about people not seeing the gray? It's ABSOLUTELY TRUE. I never see it. I just don't. Too busy communing with your face, see -

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the really scary thing is that the grey hair is all over your face! Oh wait. That was Guy. Rachel I can honestly say that I've never noticed your grey hair. You're beautiful and youthful.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!