Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Monday, April 14, 2008

Ironmen/women

I have an awesome family. I have a mom and a dad that all of the "how to be a parent" books have been written about and seven siblings that rock!

These rockin' siblings, some of their spouses, children, and my parents have decided to do a triathlon. My dad is in his seventies and the kids follow in age on down to my baby sis who is gettin' mighty close to that big 30!!!! All of my siblings have had a gazillion kids, no maids, chef's, nannies, etc. etc. etc. Just your average spazo family.

Last year the eldest of the rockin' sib's decided to do this triathlon thing with her husband and kids. You have to understand what an accomplishment this is. (Don't worry Sherri, I won't tell anyone that I am talking about you.) This babe didn't know how to swim at the time, thought biking was something that had to do with Harley's and running was what happens when you eat too many prunes. She aint no spring chicken either.......(I mean she aint ready for the butcher block either) which is a good thing I'm not telling anyone who I am talking about. What I am trying to say is THIS IS HUGE! And not only is this huge but that gal finished!

So, ring leader rockin' sis talks the rest of my sib's into doing this thing and would you believe? They are actually going to do it! They are all training along with several spouses and some of their kids. Dad is gonna do it and mom is gonna do what she does best. She is going to be behind the scenes cheering all of her kids on as they cross the finish line. A job that has never gotten the recognition it deserves by the way.........

You may have noticed that I am not speaking in the first person in this here triathlon endeaver. Being who I am sometimes comes at a great difficulty and cost. My rockin' sib's are so pumped up about this here triathlon thingy that I didn't want to make them feel bad so I told them that old saying......you know the one........"a time and a season"..........Having so many little ones at home............being gone most of the summer.........not being able to train...........etc. etc. etc.

I just couldn't bring myself to burst all of their bubbles by telling them the truth. They are working so hard for this thing and I would feel terrible getting off the couch, dusting off my jeans, throwing away my bon bon wrappers, walking up to the starting line, and then blowing them all away. I mean it just doesn't look good when all of your siblings are doing their best just to cross the finish line when their sister has finished hours ago and is back on the couch eating her bon bons never breaking a sweat...............I just won't do that to them...........I love them too much!

1 comment:

  1. I think you are a generous and gracious woman, Rachel baby. To spare them the indignity. . .

    Did you catch it that Linda Adams referred to you in her Twilight comment tonight?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!