Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Feelin' Blue....And I Like It!



Okay, so I am like, WAY, totally excited. WAY! My dad and mom came down this past weekend. My dad is a camera genius and he worked with me for a bit with my camera teaching me. He taught me a little bit (HE HAS SOOOO MUCH MORE TO TEACH ME!! I CAN'T WAIT) Sorry, when I get excited I speak in all caps.



Anyway, I have been wanting to capture the colors of morning for sooooo many years and haven't been able to. I know there's photo shop and all but I want to learn how to do it out of my camera because we all know the less you fiddle with a photo the better right? Besides, the whole photo shop thing intimidates me.



Their not brilliant photos but when I got up EARLY this morning and took the dogs out it was SO COLD and SO BLUE. Everything was blue and I hoped beyond hope that I could capture the blue and.......I'm totally stoked. I'd wanted to stay outside (other than it was FREEZING) and capture the sunrise but The SM has been gone all week to tropical San Jose so it was up to me to get The Native's off to school.

Which brings me to another topic. Breakfast. We have several 'flavors' of cream of wheat/germade. And we have plain. Being the utterly cool mom that I am.....I made plain this morning thinking The Native's would think I totally rock cuz then they can flavor it how ever they like right? Brown sugar......maple flavoring....chocolate......the possibilities are endless! So, I come downstairs and they are all sitting around the kitchen table with looks of wretchedness on their faces and when I asked them what was wrong they said, "It's plain!" I was dumbfounded!

I told them, "Well YEAH!!! Flavor the dang stuff how ever you want!" They looked at me and asked if I was serious, flew to the cupboards, and started pulling out all sorts of stuff to flavor their cereal with.

The end result: Happy hungry Native's. I have several bowls sitting around me with a few bites taken out of them. Apparently brown sugar and strawberry jam wasn't a good mix. Neither was lemon flavoring......I've no idea what the others put in as I was busy running The Eldest off to school.......I just came home to abandoned bowls of......experiments gone bad. Won't they be ticked when they come home and see the bowls still sitting here waiting for them for a snack!

Totally rockin' mom! Will fall to totally rotten mom! And I'm okay with that. Cuz I'm feelin' blue today!

17 comments:

  1. SOOOOOOO many life lessons for them in this one. Let's see: "Life is like a bowl of creme of wheat—it's nothin' till you give it a flavor. But you gotta be careful, because whatever flavor you give it - it's gonna be really, really hard to get that flavor out. And you don't want to make a mistake, because you're gonna have to eat it JUST the way you made it -

    I can see their widdle faces. There is a price for creativity.

    But you - that blue is stunning. What did he say to do? Because I know your camera will try to bring up the image to a daylight level. So no fair learning without telling me, too -

    And go to Linda's blog, because she's got a mighty list of tutorials going -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! And thanks for the 'cool mom' tip. I never thought of letting the kids flavor their mush. I always just add sugar & call it good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you've gotta teach the rest of us your cool camera tricks.

    I'm wondering what my kids would say to that breakfast? You're better than I am, they make their own while I figure out how to wake myself up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very pretty in blue. very cool with the plain mush. very brave with the leftovers. yuck! :) didn't anyone just want butter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pictures are beautiful . . . really beautiful.

    And I save abandoned food for later meals too; no one loves me for it either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your photos…also, thanks in advance for letting us 'borrow' one of your natives - there'll be one less to provide mush for for two whole days!

    That's gotta be worth something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristen, I love your life lessons! I hadn't thought of that but it is brilliant. You. are brilliant.

    The blue is pretty cool isn't it? My moon isn't so fab. I still need to work on it so you can see the deatail of the moon. I goofed on that one but it's still cool with the dark blue around it.

    Send me Linda's link.

    Gerb, I'm thinkin' after the flavors The Native's tried....they may just prefer a little br. sugar and call it good.

    When Mr. T got home from school and was told bon apetite! He sat here gagging his mush down complaining about how slimy it was....it tasted bad...etc. I'm thinkin' next time he'll snarf it when it's hot.

    Lyndee, Oh my goodness. If I let The Native's get themselves breakfast they'd eat handfuls of br. sugar and call it good. I'd definetly have to lay down some ground rules but I like the idea!!

    Ask Kristen to explain what I did with my camera...if I explained it I'd be using terms like thing a ma jigger and the whats it.

    Misty, I thought I'd taught The Native's better....obviously not. Butter is a main staple around here. Butter and br. sugar....you can't get better than that. Well, unless its chocolate but that's a category unto itself.

    Chastina, Not true! You've taken some fab. photos yourself!!

    Emma, Go back and read your mothers comment. Scrambled eggs? Ewwww. Do they have to be green and served with ham?

    Anaise, See? Another reason you need to move next door. Maybe we are twins and were seperated at birth!!

    Uncle Rush, I was pleased with the photos. Not brilliant like I said especially the one of the moon but I had fun playing and that's what counts right? I love learning new things! Now, if I could just retain the things I learn!!!

    Thank you!!! For taking all of these kids down for a few day. I know Mr. M is going to have a blast. So bummed I can't come. Oh well. Next year right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the photos...blue morning. Gorgeous.

    And Cream of Wheat...love it with brown sugar, milk, and butter. Might make some now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori, That is the best way to eat Cream of Wheat isn't it? Mmmmm. It's been snowing here. Good morning for comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous Photos! How lucky you are to have an instructor! :)

    And as far as breakfast... that was... entertaining. ;) I love your spunky personality! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jody, It really is! Something to do with the cold and the snow....it only lasts for a minute or so and then it is gone. That is why I was so excited to capture it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, the colors of the morning are amazing! I love them!
    And I love hot cereal for breakfast--but only if it's got lots of sweet delicious flavoring. Our current favorite is strawberries and honey. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm. I've never thought of San Jose as tropical.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ginna, Strawberries and honey sound wonderful. On cereal, in a shake..... :D

    Kathy, When you're here in the freezing snow, anywhere warm and sunny seems tropical. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Corine, It really was a lot of fun having my dad here playing with our cameras. I still have so much to learn but it's the process right?

    I'm not sure The Native's would call it spunky. LOL! I don't know, sometimes I think I need to lighten up....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rachel, I love the pics; there is just something about early morning light isn't there?
    Darn! I wish I would've seen this before the expedition and I would've packed my Cream of Wheat just for Mr. M! ;) I really think he likes waffles a lot better though...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness Natalie! He told me he'd eaten TWELVE! You are such a trooper! :D I owe you big time! I'd have gone to a hotel the first night. :D

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!