Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Confession about Valentine's Day.



I've another confession to make and I'm sorry to have to dump it on you today of all days but here it is: I hate Valentine's Day. There. I said it.

I used to like it when I was in grade school and I'd go through my little Valentine's from all of my classmates reading more into each little card from all of the boys I liked. As a parent of little boys I realize now that there was nothing to "read into". With little boys....if they didn't have their mother over their shoulder helping them sign the little cards, they'd give Incredible Hulk to the girls and Disney Princess to the boys. They don't care! They just want to fill the dumb things out, sign their names to them, and be done with them. Who cares about gender and the message on the front.......there's a message?

Junior High hit and high school and that is when you could buy balloons or flowers for friends (those would be white or yellow) or boyfriend/girlfriends (those would be red). Of course.....the more red you had well GOSH, you were soooo popular! Year after year I'd come home empty handed as it seemed like everyone else including the "ugly kids" or "nerds" had fists full of flowers and balloons. Every year as class would be interrupted all day long with the delivering of flowers and balloons and hope oh I'd hope.......but no....and I felt like everyone was smugly looking at me and my blatantly empty hands.

Now that I am married you'd think I'd get over the whole Valentine's thing and love it because no longer am I without flowers, balloons, chocolate, sticky kisses....but....I still hate it. I hate taking my kids to the store to buy stupid cards that little girls are going to read and wonder what my sons meant by the message on the front......these same little girls have no idea that when my boys get home, they take one look at their cards and if there isn't any candy they throw it in the trash without looking at who it is from or the message printed on the front. If it does have candy, they still do not read or care about the message or who it is from. They rip the candy off the card and toss the card. They're guys........it's all about food.

I don't know.......maybe I'm missing the point but when my TEN YEAR OLD son comes home from school feeling bad because he was told by, "lots of people in his class" that when he threw away a certain little girls Valentine he'd "broken her heart".........I'm reminded as to why I hate Valentine's Day.

On the other hand......as I was spouting off to my SM yesterday about my grudge against the day and "Oh by the way, your Valentine's is going to be lousy this year because I've not felt well enough to do anything great" my SM pulled me into his lap and with arms around me said, "I don't need anything for Valentine's. Every day with you is Valentine's Day".

Maybe Valentine's Day isn't so bad after all.......

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhh that's so cute of your hubby! You are a very lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so funny how boys and girls are!!! I remember being in fifth grade and picking out the perfect special valentine for my secret crush, only to chicken out! I never gave it to him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the stress of trying to give the right saying to the right person. If I'd only know then that the boys don't look at what the card says.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said it perfectly about the boys and valentines day! Chalk one up for Brian, that was incredibly sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, I love Valentine's. But not this year, for some reason. Same reason, I guess. I can't wake up for it. But I have some roses that tried really hard. Everything you wrote about school - yep. yep. Except they hadn't started that buying balloons and roses thing when I was in high school, thank heaven. Because I would have been in exactly the same place, and I don't think I'd have handled it well. I always gave my sons money with instructions to buy for the girls they knew absolutely were going to be left out.

    But your problem is that you weren't in that group. You were in the normal middle - not to receive the pity presents, but not getting things from the pant-pant adoring guys who - well, those guys.

    At least, I think that would have been my problem. But if you'd have been in school with my guys, they'd have bought you plenty of yellow - because they always made sure their friends were covered.

    Guy read this piece today. He read Bri's bit and added a hasty "Me, too - you." It isn't half as good as having it come so spontaneously - that Bri, he's something special.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!