Tuesday, November 9, 2010
RULES FOR TEACHERS
*Wash windows & clean classroom with soap and water once a week. I don't see a problem with that.
*Check outhouses daily. (Plenty of old catalogues are available at School Board office.) I can only imagine the sorts of catalogues a School Board office would have and I'm sure the students had absolutely no problem what so ever wiping their bums with them!
(Forbidden wear in Public at All Times)
(1) A bathing costume Did schools have pools back then?
(2) Bloomers for cycling Would bloomers for mountain climbing be appropriate?
(3) Skirts slit to expose ankles Because someone might see your bloomin' bloomers!
(4) bustle extension over 10 inches And what happens if you had an especially round bum that naturally stuck out further than ten inches?
(1) Detachable collar & necktie removed from shirt Indecent! Might see his neck!
(2) Shirt sleeves unlinked & rolled That! Would imply that he was hard at work!
(3) Hair closely cropped (unless bald or have disease of the scalp) Naturally.
(Cause for Immediate Dismissal)
*Smoking of cigarettes, use of spirits, frequenting of pool or public dance halls. Define "frequent" ing...
*Marriage or other unseemly behavior by women teachers. Marriage! Oh absolutely unseemly! Downright wicked of a woman!
*Joining of any Feminist Movement, such as the Suffragettes. Because she actually might 'educate' the uneducated males of the world! In her unseemly manner....
Signed by the Superintendent Sept. 15, 1886
No wonder female teachers back in the day were known to be old crotchety mean toads. The SM read this and while laughing said, "Knowing you, you'd show up with a 15 inch bustle in your bloomin' bathing costume in 'high spirits'!
I thought that downright indecent and unseemly of him! My bustle would have been 20 inches!