Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Catalog Boy.




You know the holidays are upon us when every day your mailbox is filled with these. Don't get me wrong. I love catalogs and being a stay at home mom that doesn't particularly like to drag The Natives all over town shopping, catalogs are fabulous!

At least I thought they were...... until this holiday season. My baby has been hoarding them all, following me around non stop, showing me each and every item that he wants.



This morning it was this lovely car. He says both he and Levi want it but that only "he" can drive. Not Levi.......and they don't want the girl ones. "It hasta be dis one". The boy one. When I asked him why Levi couldn't drive and only he could he said because he needs to drive. End of discussion!

When the catalogs first started coming in my baby wanted me to magically make all of the items he wanted to just appear. I fall back on the only weapon I can at this time.........Santa Claus. "We'll have to ask Santa Claus" so now when my baby shows me all of the stuff he wants, he wants me to make sure and let Santa know. I'm afraid he is going to be one disappointed boy when Christmas comes and the tree isn't loaded with all of his catalog picks. It'll serve him right. He's on my naughty list right now. The other day I was in the bathroom putting my face on. He walked in and said:

Baby: What is that?
Me: Make up.
Baby: What you doing?
Me: Trying to make myself look presentable. Is it working?
Baby: No

I don't care if he is the baby......he's getting coal in his stocking!

11 comments:

  1. I try to hid the fliers and catalogs just to avoid this very thing, but there's always TV- but not this week! Ahhhhh. I think I could get used to this.
    Regarding make-up, I'm sure he meant it wasn't working because you don't need it in the first place. You gotta love kids- sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess they have proof reading for a reason. I really meant 'hide'. Sorry. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last week while I was working at home I heard catalog boy's ramblings. All I heard was a long, quiet, continuous procession of "I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. " while he pointed to an item in the catalog. It seemed to go on forever, but probably only lasted 30 minutes. For that item anyway. It is no wonder that Rachel and I have selection hearing and the ability to ignore white noise. I am often reminded that my talent in this is overdeveloped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to avoid those fun yet pesky catalogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, Brian...too funny. The one and only catalog I will lie in wait for and throw away before anyone has seen it: American Girl. Every year. Except the first year...that was my learning year...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natalie, they are honest that is for sure. Whether we like it or not.....

    :) I read "hide" the first time.

    Brian, what? Did you say something?

    Chastina, I'm afraid.....I love catalogs. I mark them up, I "go shopping", I see the total cost, and then I throw them away without actually placing an order. But I FEEL like I've been out shopping! :D

    Misty, Ya...American Girl. A big one with Kirsten excepting we're ticked at them now that they are discontinuing the Kirsten line. How dare they???

    ReplyDelete
  7. A stocking filled with reindeer poop is always a sign of a Christmas miscreant.

    Hope you won't have too many of them this year...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Z, mine is always a definite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no catalogs to look through, so I come to you, mother of many boys for ideas of a Christmas gift (under $20) for a 4 yr old boy. He told me he was going to ask Santa for a light saber, but then he rescued one from the neighbor's garbage (before they put it in there) when they got a new one...now I have no ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marseille, in all of the years of toy buying the favorite that is always played with still to this day by all of my boys and they always go back to is matchbox cars and those green plastic army men. My boys have a gazillion "really cool" toys but back they go to those two. That and plastic animals. Little zoo animals, farm animals, etc. I've talked to many a mom who have said the same thing. Matchbox cars and army men. It's a boy thing. :) You can buy about 30 of those little plastic animals in a tube at most toy stores for pretty cheap too. All three items are inexpensive which is great! Which makes me wonder why I keep buying them expensive toys........sigh.

    Jody, that is funny!!! What a splendid idea! One year my mother complained to my dad saying she didn't know why she bothered telling him what she wanted for Christmas because he never got her what she wanted anyway. He told her to make him a list and this year he'd do better. He had thee best time getting her everything she wanted on that list. She said she wanted a nice sweater so he went and had a hot pink sweatshirt silk screened with the words, "a nice sweater" printed on the front. Everything on the list he did stuff like that. We giggled and laughed all Christmas morning as mom opened one gift after another that was "on her list". Of course dad brought out her real gifts later but I'll never forget that Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brian - it's only good luck that you haven't been around while I'm going through all the catalogues they send me. But I've learned not to do the mantra out loud. I know I'm not going to get any of it as presents, though - because the girls were the only ones who ever took hints. So now, I just give myself stuff, which means that the want it list gets cut severely, as I am hampered by my grown up sense of benighted responsibility.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!