Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

You can be anything/anyone in your imagination.



When I was a young little snot nosed whippersnapper growing up in the boonies with out a television, my siblings and I would have to come up with our own entertainment. Sundays were the hardest. Lots of things that we would normally do through out the week were deemed not appropriate for Sunday activities.

That is until I became a teenager. The rule was, anything we couldn't do in a dress we shouldn't do on Sunday. I figured out that one could do pretty much anything in a dress. Especially if ones mum wasn't watching and you got rid of the evidence before entering the house. (Mud clear up to your knees from sloshing around in the pond...etc.)

Before I became an even bigger snot nosed whippersnapper as a teenager Sunday afternoons were spent in the house for the most part and the imaginations rolled. One of my favorite games to play was make believe church. Why after sitting for three hours in church I'd want to come home and play church some more is beyond me but play church we did!

I would set up my mothers ironing board as my "podium" and cover it in all of the church books and magazines I could find along with our "Children's Songbook". I would then proceed in my most nasally voice welcoming all to primary. I had a broken antenna from an old radio that worked great as a wand for leading the music. Many a speech or song of mine would be interrupted as I would rap that wand against the ironing board disciplining some way ward child. Sometimes that child was really naughty and I would take them by the ear whisking them out into the hall where I would ask them if I needed to go and get their parents!

Then I would calmly walk back behind the ironing board and once again in my nasally voice, "nooooow childreeeen".......continue on with my sermon.



I suppose that is why when I caught these two little whippersnappers in a world of make believe I was delighted as memories of my own child hood came flooding back and I had to grab my camera.

16 comments:

  1. So cute.
    Make believe is great. Sometimes I make believe that playing house or church is as fun as it used to be when I was a kid playing make believe and do you know what...MOST times the real thing is even better. LOL.
    I love catching my kids using their imaginations too; it brings a instant smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminds me of all the times I'd play make believe. In one of the houses my family lived in we had an old gas oven in the basement; it was not hooked up. We loved playing house using it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. Since I was the only one younger than you guess who was always being hauled around be her ear. But time has a way of fixing all things. I'd say I have a good foot on you now, wouldn't ya say?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie, the real thing is better? Really? :) Just kiddin'. You're right. It is better. THANKFULLY!

    Chastina, Aren't the things we used to do as kids to entertain ourselves fun memories to reflect upon? Way cool having an actual stove to play imaginary house with.

    Jody, I have a sister that can't remember anything either. I'll tell her, "remember when......" and she can't remember a dang thing!

    Sarah, yes. You have big feet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to play school, but I'm pretty sure I never played church. That's a new one.

    Is that native leading the music??? He's trying to be like MEEEEE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Kathy and you would not believe what he is saying!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's so funny!! Max loves to do it too--and since there's just him Kris and I have to be the kids. It gets kind of old, but it's pretty funny to see him up there being the guy in charge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still play like I'm at church every chance I get--A little nap here, a little day dream there. And when Rachel is misbehaving I pull her ears really good.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ginna, I get the biggest kick out of kids when they are imitating adults.

    Brian, you make me laugh. I'm glad I married you. Even if you do pull my ears after I give you a time out and spank your bum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to play church too! Being the oldest I was the ring leader. Who do your kids take piano lessons from and how old do you start them?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marseille, I start my kids around 8 unless they are like Matthew and Kirsten begging to start before. :)

    Their teacher is Mike Carson. Sadly, he isn't taking anymore students.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We played make believe church, too. My mom had to put a stop to us saying a pretend sacrament prayer and administering the bread and water. OOPS! We younguns' didn't know better. We also played doctor, dentist, massage therapist, and school. I always wanted to be the patient, and I always had to be the teacher. Make-believe gave me my beginnings into "teacherhood".

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd be glad to teach Matthew my own, made-up, fake-it style of doing this thing, by the way. And yes, you sitting through the Mormon Mass and then coming home to pretend more of the same - staggers me. I can see it though. I can surely see it happening in my head. COme to think of it, I'd like to see some pictures of you at that age -

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know Kristen! I was actually cute once. :) I don't have any photos of me when I was little. All are tucked away in photo albums at my mom's house.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!