Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Crackpot Tuesdays and Reflections


Photo by Taste of Home


This week was my baby girls turn to choose the crackpot meal and she chose, "Zippy Steak Chili".

From the moment I gave birth to The Natives I was shoving Tabasco sauce down their throats. If you haven't done the same or something similar this may be a bit zippy for you, your kids, your grandma, your grandma's cat....

Easily remedied.....cut back on the spicy ingredients. As for chili starter......what in tarnation is that? I just added two cans of chili.......

The family gave this 4 stars. For chili they thought it was pretty darn good and I had to agree with them.



I don't know about you but chili goes with cornbread like pizza goes with root beer......can't have one with out the other. I mean you can.....but you're missing out on the full experience. I'm not a fan of dry crumbly cornbread so I like The SM's aunts recipe that we tweaked a bit.

Aunt Gail's Cornbread

1 C. butter (trust me, it's worth it)
1 2/3 C. sugar (trust me, this too is worth it)
4 eggs (See? It gets healthy)
2 C. buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
1 C. cornmeal
3 C. flour
1 tsp. salt

Melt butter, add and stir in rest of ingred. stirring well. Bake in greased 9x13 for 30-40 min. at 375 in a metal pan, 350 in a glass pan. (We add a can of creamed corn and a can of diced gr. chili's.) (I didn't add the gr. chili's yesterday cuz I didn't want to. I'm allowed to do that every once in awhile...leave out an ingredient just cuz.)



Last week it was Reflections and Mr. M and Miss K wanted to participate. Miss K entered a painting and a musical piece on the piano. She won a ribbon for her painting and a trophy for her musical piece. The theme for this year was, "Beauty is..." Miss K painted a horse because she feels that beauty is the life of a horse and being a part of that life. Watching a horse being born, watching the horse grow, training the horse, and spending your life with your horse. Her musical piece had to do with the sound of horses hooves when they are galloping. Miss K said she loves the sound of horses galloping.



Mr. M entered photography. Mr. M chose "Beauty is.......in the eye of the beholder". He went around taking photos of eyes. The smart little stinker then uploaded his photos, cut and pasted them, and then printed them. I still can't do that! Photo editing......pfffft. What's that?

We pretty much think these two rock for doing so well in Reflections.

8 comments:

  1. You and I are connected in some funny way... As I was getting ready this morning I was thinking about chili- really good chili. I determined to find me a good recipe and try it...and lo and behold here one is!
    Thanks!
    And yes, your kids rock and not only for winning in the Reflections contest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what awesome reflections projects! I'm way impressed. Tell them they're brilliant.
    And the food sounds delish. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to double-take that taste of home photo. Notice that they have the same silverware as we do? Or are you secretly working for Taste of Home? I have to admit that the chili is some of the best I've ever had.
    I have to admit that Matthew showed himself to be marvelously adept at learning. Using a photo editing software program he's never used before in his life, GIMP (which is free and really cool) I showed how to edit one picture--cropping and placement. 5 minutes of training. And then he was able to to do the rest of them. He grasped the concept of editing layers in seconds. It amazes me how a young mind works--no arguing and cussing and arm-wrestling the technology; just accept it and get your task done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LUUUUUUUVED those reflections projects. Luuuuuvvvved them K's horse was charming and elegant and Matthew's eyes were brilliant. I wonder if your kids would come over and cook for us - on a regular basis???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalie, it's a good connection! :) Even if it is evil......

    Ginna, I will let them know their Auntie Gin says they're awesome. :)

    Brian, Oh funny! I didn't notice the silverware. Actually, while you are asleep.....I moonlight for T of H. :D

    Kristen, the kids are good at picking out recipes but the cooking part....you're better off ordering take out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mathew and Kirsten,

    Congratulations on doing so well in Reflections. Kirsten we saw your painting of the horse when we were there. It’s very good and your explanation of why horses are beautiful is good. Was the piano piece you played for Gma last night the same one you played for at school?

    Mathew we love the eyes. Great job~

    Love,

    Gpa & Gma Recht

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think anything with "zippy" in the title is worth eating.

    Congrats to K for such talent. I am really impressed with M's clever project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy, I totally agree. Zippy is good. Really good!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!