Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Disconnected and out of touch with reality.



Indulge me a minute would you? I feel a rant coming on. I recently received a message on Face Book that if I hurry to a certain store, I could get one of those virtual hampster thingys that is the hot item for cheap rather than pay heaps of money on e-bay for said same item.

Now, mind you I'm not saying everyone has to turn their homes into the local pet shop like we have but where is the reality in these items? Don't get me wrong. I understand that it is great teaching your kids about having a pet without having to clean up any of its messes should it 'oops' on your floors, or if your child should forget to feed these pets you don't have to worry about consoling your child and teaching them about death because all you have to do is push a button and it restarts a new pet for them to take care of. Quite a neat little package! Nor do you have to teach your child about the costs of food and upkeep with an actual..real....pet. So your child gets the pet experience without......the reality..of a pet.



May I continue my snit......I was talking to my mother recently on this thing called a telephone. I know, totally 90's huh? I admitted to her that I never talk to anyone on the telephone anymore except for her and my sisters and The SM at lunch time. With all of the fabulous technology out there for "connecting" with people I have become totally DISconnected in being "connected". Where is the responsibility in and reality of relationships gone to? We don't have to feed or nurture our relationships anymore because if they die......we just click a button and start a new one!

This morning I was reading Kristen's blog. She talked about how her horses somehow know when the cows next door have had their lives ended. It is done quietly and in the most humane way possible. The cows do not know when it is coming or when it happens. They feel nothing and no signs are left behind as to what has taken place. It is done quickly and efficiently and yet....the horses still know and they react. Why? Because they are connected.

We have had first hand experience with the knowledge that animals can reach humans where and when humans can't. We've seen it with Levi and his dog Julie. An amazing bond. Because they are connected.

My mother said one of the hardest things she had to witness growing up on the farm was when the calf (no longer a calf) was taken to be butchered. She would watch real live huge tears fall down the faces of our cow and horse. The animals would shed actual tears. Year after year.......she watched this phenomenon. Two different species mourning together.

I do believe that our spirits are more in tune with each other than "we" are but we could become more in tune and connected...if we'd disconnect from the connectors and spend more real time together.......just my opinion.....for what it is worth.....

6 comments:

  1. Amen.

    Jody & Rachel, I'm not sure you should jump right in and actually talk to each other real phones. That might put both you and your innocent husbands into trauma and shock. I recommend that you practice on these phones first.

    http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Sesame-Street-Knows-Phone/dp/B000MFJFAE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1261068586&sr=1-2

    Rachel, just pretend Elmo is Jody. Jody, pretend Elmo is Rachel. If you practice every day, maybe by next Christmas you'll be ready for the next step, a Barbie phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those toys are ridiculous. There is nothing better than the lessons learned from the real thing.

    And I myself have a phone phobia, other than a few people all calls get ignored and rarely returned. I don't know why. Its just how I am.

    Thanks for your post, it has definitely gave me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jody, Do you think we can do it? I know! Let's e-mail each other before the call just to make sure we're available. :D

    Brian, Only if you promise to get me a Big Bird phone so I can practice talking to you!! :p

    Denae, I think more of us are getting what we call phone phobias because we don't use them anymore. I didn't use to be this way......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting...I've never thought about all this technology influencing me to be phone call phobic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jody, LOL! Innocent. Snort. They wish!

    Chastina, I'm just thinkin.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I've mentioned before I totally have the phone phobia. I think mind comes from having to be on the phone for hours and hours at home for work, and always having to answer it even if I didn't want to. Now I never ever ever want to talk on it unless it's my parents or husband. I'm going to have to work on that though.
    But I do love email. It's nice to be able to talk to people that way even though it's not as personal.
    I agree with you though, the more technology we get to connect each other, the more removed we seem to be.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!