Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Monday, December 7, 2009

A package of love, warmth, and timeless traditions passed down through the generations.



Dress up! What little girl doesn't like dress up? During Thanksgiving vacation I received a package in the mail. Three boxes! Two with my name on them and one with my baby girls name.

Christmas in November! Sooo excited. We had no idea what was in them, just that they were from Auntie Jo-Jo. A friend who is battling WNV just like me except she is doing it more gracefully.

We opened the first box with my baby girls name on it and found dress up clothes! Really cool dress up clothes that were Auntie Jo-Jo's Great Aunts.

In the second box (I didn't take photos....I'm lame......I know......)were two really cool wrought iron baskets that match my house perfectly!!! And several old books that were also Auntie Jo-Jo's Great Aunts. Does Auntie Jo-Jo know me or what? I've already spent many a cozy night tucked up in bed reading them.



And...these amazing quilts there were also Auntie Jo-Jo's Great Aunts.



Not just any old quilt that you'd go and buy at the 'Marts'. We're talking heirloom quilts!



Look at the tiny stitches. These quilts were made in the 1930's. Back in the day before the nifty rotary cutters. Each of these tiny little pieces; 1 1/2 inch squares was hand cut with scissors and then sewn together by hand. Yes, you read correctly. By hand. No sewing machine on these quilts. Not only were these hand pieced but they were hand quilted as you can see.



The hours that were put into these quilts! And put together so well. Their condition is just beautiful.



See this tiny little triangle edging on this quilt? Just amazing!



I love this block. It is so bright and happy! I wonder what was going through Auntie Jo-Jo's Great Aunt's mind when she was putting this block together. Such a happy block.



"A Trip Around the World" is the name of this quilt pattern. Very appropriate as I'm not quite around the world from Auntie Jo-Jo but I am across the country and feel so honored that she would bestow me with such lovely gifts as these. Truly honored. I pray Auntie Jo-Jo's Great Aunts memory will live on as we cherish these gifts.

8 comments:

  1. Holy flipping cats. She sent you profound gifts. Heirloom quilts? You know what they're worth? And she sent you her heritage. Rachel, this is remarkable. Bless her heart - she knows the right person to send them to. Holy cats. Holy cats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, YES! I know! I am still in shock, awe, touched......such a beautiful gift one's heritage and to share it with someone else...even more beautiful. Such selfless love this Auntie Jo-Jo has and I am so blessed to have gotten to know her over the past year. A kindred spirit this girl! You'd love her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jody, you can stalk me anytime! :) Seriously, I do believe that God works in mysterious ways and one is in bringing us together. Its been an amazing year hasn't it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I don't know what else to say. Wow. Bless Auntie Jo-JO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, how sweet and wonderful. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, wow is right. That is what I kept saying over and over when we opened the boxes.

    Ginna, it was sweet and wonderful. I still can't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jody, as you know with little girls.....the GAGier the better! :D Tacky is in for them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a thoughtful gift! Those blankets are beautiful. I'm always amazed when I think of the time it took to make things like them.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!