Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Thanksgiving break Part One.



Yes, part one! It was a busy weekend that we jammed as much as we possibly could have into it.

There was the obvious, spending time with family on Thanksgiving Day eating ourselves into a blissfully bloated state. A day spent with cousins, aunts, and uncles. Food, games, laughing, eating......and did I get any of it on camera? Noooo. Don't ask.

There is a rule in this household. If we do something once and I like it, it becomes tradition. You do NOT want to mess with me and my traditions. It's the Jewess in me.

The Saturday after Thanksgiving we started a tradition several years ago. It's a tradition cuz......we did it.....I liked it......IT'S TRADIIITIOOOOOOOOON!



The Saturday after Thanksgiving we go and get our Christmas tree.




We have a system that works pretty darn well. We make The SM get up super early in the dark and cold......drive down south many miles and minutes....and sit in the freezing cold outside of the forest service building waiting in line for a permit.....while the rest of us stay in our warm and cozy beds for another few hours.




After The SM has been sitting in the cold freezing off his bahootie we time it just right so when he pays for the permit we drive up all nice and toasty and warm and let The SM get into the truck with us as we drive into the wild yonders ready to find thee perfect Christmas tree.




It has to be the most beautiful tree in the entire forest so we follow the Pied Piper like little mice scouting and looking.




"What do you think of this one mice"?




The tape measure is brought forth to see if the tree will be able to fulfill it's full capacity. In other words......will it reach clear up to the very top of the vaulted ceiling.....



Doesn't matter that the house the tree is going to be stuffed in for a month isn't big enough for a tree of such monstrous proportions......who needs furniture?




All are asked for their opinions. Some of us take the decision making more seriously than others......




This one has the right idea.....just stay out of the way.....try to blend in with her surroundings......they all know that the mum gets the final word.




Tick....tick.......tick......what will mom decide?




This one says, "Yes, let's get this tree"!




Done! We'll take this one please and thank you forest for your offering.




This is always my favorite part.....watching The SM engineer the tying of the tree up on Clifford's back. Good ol' Clifford......he's carried many a Christmas tree home for us.

13 comments:

  1. Oh no! that tree is eating their heads!!! Clifford! Help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so stinking fun. So festive, so cute and I LOVE IT! Can't wait to see the tree in place and all decorated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOORAY FOR TRADITIONS! I love this idea, If I had a SM of my own I would definitely evoke "Mom's law of tradition declaration"

    I love Clifford, I always know when its you coming down the road.

    Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang! I love that striped knit cap on that one native. Oh. The tree was cool, too.

    I did this once. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, I couldn't resist putting up that photo. Headless Natives and SM. A tree with legs!

    Ginna, It takes us awhile to get the tree decorated. All month actually. The kids hang an ornament on the tree each time they do service for each other and others. Their gifts to the Savior. On Christmas Eve we sit back and marvel at all the good the kids have done all month as we gaze at a monstrous tree filled with ornaments each representing an act of service. Another TRADITION :).

    Denae, would you believe that we are not the only Clifford driving around anymore? We've seen several others around town lately who have the audacity to drive a Clifford! Sigh....it's tough being trend setters....

    A Very Merry Christmas to you too and your girls!

    Kathy, I love that hat too and I love that I actually made something that turned out! And I love that the picky little stink will actually wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun tradition! I've thought about doing it (we always have a live tree, no fake trees allowed), I'm just not tough enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love going "Christmas tree hunting". What a great tradition to have. I did it for a date once when I was in highschool; it was one of the best dates I went on & definitely memorable. Love all the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel, I was reading your comment to Ginna and I am impressed. How can you go most of the month with a half decorated tree? I think it is great! The OCD in me would never let me do it; I would spend Christmas in the state hospital if we tried it, but it is a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chastina, pfffft! Yeah right.....you're not tough enough. I don't believe it for a second but if you're like me, you don't have to be tough. :) Like I said, you send your hubby to sit in the cold for several hours waiting in line for the permit. You show up all toasty and warm after he's bought it and head into the mountains with your thermos of hot cocoa.

    Natalie, a high school boy actually thought of that? I'm impressed! Very creative!

    There are several things that in the past would have driven me to the OCD nutty hospital. I've had to relax a ton and I'm not saying I'm over it by any means but I've just come to realize that some things are just not worth me agonizing over. As for the tree, yeah. Hard to not have it all perfect and decorated but having so many little ones tearing the tree apart over the years...there isn't a possibility of a perfect tree in this house. The Natives cured me of that. And to see their excitment as they place ornaments on the tree.....it's totally worth it.

    Jody, heck ya! You aint no where near dead. The question is.....do you really know what you're asking? Do you really want me to tell you all of the traditions you could pack into the month of December? :) When I say I'm tradition crazy......I really mean it. :D Here's two: One, Dec. 24th read (and if you can find some little Natives around who will help) act out the Christmas story. Christ's birth. If no Natives can be found, you and your hubby can take turns reading it from the New Testament. Two: Turn off all of the lights in your house except your tree lights and have a picnic dinner under/around the tree and sing Christmas carols. :D Stopping there......unless....ya really want to hear more! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Makes me remember the excursions to the forest in which to get our tree each year when I was growing up.

    Rock on for traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr. Z, which is exactly why I embraced this so fully with my kids. I have so many fond memories of getting our tree growing up so when I found out you could do it here I was so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Betcha Gin doesn't remember that we did this once. we ended up with a lovely blue spruce. The lovely only counts if you stand far away and don't have to touch it. Ever. As in, putting lights on it, or heck- standing it up.

    And yeah, we were cold.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristen, Oh yeah! We did that one year. The thing was so spiky we had to wear gloves to put the lights and ornaments on it.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!