Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Monday, December 28, 2009

The Squawk



I've inherited.......the squawk.......

Growing up my mother would do what we called, the squawk. Out of the blue this horridly loud hiccupy squawky sound would come out of her mouth. "What on earth was THAT"? She blamed it on us. Said she'd never had it until she'd had us kids. Yeah right. Along with all the stretch marks, grey hairs, aches, pains, loss of memory, etc. One more thing to blame on birthing punks.

When my older sisters started having kids and started squawking I howled with laughter. "You've got the squawk"!!!!

And now......along with my stretch marks, saggy butt, stretchy belly button, grey hair, loss of memory and other faculties, The Natives have also made it possible for me to join ,"The squawking club" to which The Natives ask, "What the heck was THAT"?

If you are or have ever been a skier you will know what I am talking about when I tell you that sometimes when you are standing in line for the lift, for no reason, you all of a sudden find yourself falling over causing a domino effect as other skiers around you fall over. You're just standing there minding your own business and plop! Over you go. So stinkin' embarrassing.

It is the same with the squawk. You're sitting there minding your own business and next thing you know your head is yanked back off of your shoulders, your mouth gapes open, and this horrendous noise comes flying out from deep down within your chest sounding like a chicken that has been grabbed unsuspecting around its neck, eyes bulging, screeching its last squawky protest. I'm pretty sure my eyes bulge too when I squawk. I know they're bulging as I hurry and clamp my hands over my mouth, red creeping up my cheeks and face as I say, "What the heck was THAT"???

16 comments:

  1. The "squawk" has got to be better than the "snort" that frequently escapes my nares when I laugh to hard. Very embarrassing. Sounds like we could start own our farm. :)
    This post- very funny; thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie, Oh no.......I gots that too.....

    We could start a regular ol' hick band sounds to me with all our squawkin' snortin' wheezin' belchin'......farm noise makin' bodies. Sigh....what's a body to do.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. how about the tendency to throw breakable thing against walls while having a 2 year old tantrum fit thing? i would love to hear the squawk...i am not quite catching the vision over here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sad to say that I have inherited the squawk also. Dang it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, HA! LOL! For reals? Oh gee......bummer!

    Misty, There is no vision to catch....it's an awful hiccup thing that rips your head off in the process and embarrasses the heck out of you.

    As for throwing things.....glass is the best. I love the sound of it as it shatters.......awesome therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least the "squawk" and "snort" don't leave you with a coughing fit because you can't breathe. Which happens when I laugh to hard.

    I also find myself making noises that I think "Where did that come from?" I wonder if there is a therapy group to deal with the embarrassment that comes with it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chastina, LOL! A support group for bodily functions that fire off without notification or our permission. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. My aunt squawks, Rachel, so I know exactly the sound you're describing...very funny post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori, Oh your poor aunt! Tell her my condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jody, The squawk or the photo? :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where did you find that picture??? I was laughing so hard. I can boast I am the only sister that doesn't squawk -- or have gray hair, stretch marks, saggy butt, loss of memory,and other faculties.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Virginia, What medication are YOU on?

    ReplyDelete
  13. You guys are all SO FUNNY! I laughed till I cried at your post, but then laughed till I almost peed myself at all these wonderful comments! .... I don't squawk but I've been known to 'like those tinkling sounds' of glass being broken in fits of rage! My grown sons attest to those with glee.
    Your blog is definitely going in my favorites list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cee, I'm so glad you dropped by! Welcome! Pull up a chair and sit yurself for a spell. Laughs are on the house. Glad to 'blige ya.

    The sound of breaking glass....music to my ears. :) And to many a moms ears I would imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am not like my mother. I am not like my mother. I am not like my mother.

    I threw my phone the other day. But I was at work and it had a cord on it and it just came back to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kathy, LOL! Oh yeah. Nope. Not going there. Aint gonna happen to me. No sirreee! The phone coming back to you cracked me up. I can't tell you how many times I've thrown things in a rage only to have it bounce off of something and smack me which ticks me off even MORE! Or the times I'll throw something upstairs to put it away later only to have it bounce off the wall and come bouncing down the stairs back at me.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!