Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Friday, March 27, 2009

The Wedgie!



It's that time of year again. Has been since our first son started Cub Scouts 8 years ago. The SM has been helping our boys make these cars year after year. If you think the Super Bowl is huge, try being in our household around Derby time. For the last SEVERAL years we've had brothers competing against brothers. When we had The Natives close together it didn't even occur to us that someday Derby would turn into an ugly word.

Who do you cheer for? Thankfully, The Natives put their tomahawks aside and before the Derby we'd smoke peace pipes and put on our public face.

A couple of years ago The SM was out of the country and the Derby was looming ever closer and the cars that are always left to the last minute didn't look like they were going to get done since once again, brother would be competing against brother. Two cars needed to be made.

I do not believe in competition at all. I am a very level headed individual and believe that all of the boys should get a prize and all should be winners. I told The SM that I would make one of the cars and he could make one thus taking some of the pressure off of his broad strong shoulders. Beings as I am NOT competitive at all this should have relieved his mind especially when I told him that I thought it would be funny if the stay at home momma beat the genius engineer daddy. No pressure though because I'm not competitive at all!

The day of the Derby arrived and I ran and bought a kit to start my sons car. I hurried and cut it on the scroll saw and when I went to pick up The Native's  from school was madly sanding the sucker out in the parking lot. Got home and had my son paint the car to which we then applied a very scientific paint drying job approach with my hair dryer. The hour was close as we then madly dashed into the kitchen trying to find something to decorate the car with and our eyes lit on the stickers on the banana's. Pasted those suckers on and we had the "Chiquita" car! It was a beauty. Not that it mattered.......because I'm not competitive and I promise you I did NOT rub it in that The SM had spent days and hours on his while my son and I had whipped his together in one afternoon.

I probably should end the story here because it really doesn't matter who won that night. All are winners and every boy came home with a certificate and it didn't really matter that my son whose car I helped make came home with THE BLUE FIRST PLACE RIBBON because that isn't important nor was it really important for me to point out to my engineer SM that I'd beaten him because that would be unsportsman like conduct.

Thankfully, The SM is man enough to pat his little immature wife on the back and move on because he has helped his boys make many a winning car and last night was no different.





Here our Derby Native is setting up his red hot car there on the left.



Run after run after run that little red hot Mario Car flashed into first place heat after heat!



All of the boys got a certificate. An "award". The "most patriotic award" or the "coolest military car" award" or the "smoothest paint job" award.......Our native's was "the wedgie" award. Hee ha ho HA! Ahem...sorry......What a crack up!

Side Note: The SM does believe in having the boys participate in "the fun part" of building the car start to finish with one exception. The wheels......are not to be touched......except by his engineering hands......thus making this part of the car sacred. Don't mess with the wheels!

4 comments:

  1. I am very proud of you for not worrying about who wins, that everyone is a winner, not pointing things out to your SM, etc! I always KNEW you weren't competative...especially after your Wii Fit posts. :P This certainly made me laugh....OH! And Congrats on the win! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to see that kids have such great role models! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, but the story you told me - how Matthew did NOT want more graphite on the wheels because he was already beating everybody, and didn't want to beat them even worse - that's my favorite part of this whole deal. What a guy that Matthew is. May I say that I am a fan? And I, too, have always known that you do not have a competitive bone in your body, as long as you win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. K, I know! It is a beautiful story isn't it? I thought, "who's kid are you? Have I not taught you anything??? This is your mother speaking. It's all about winning"!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!