Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Conversations with a two year old....

Sitting right behind my house is a field that I not only enjoy but I pretend that I own. Two fields actually separated by a ditch that the natives spend hours playing in. We'll talk about the ditch another day. Today, I'm talking about the North field. The field that has sat dormant all winter but this spring the farmer has taken his disks and tilled that sucker under adding odoriferous.......let's see. How do we put this delicately cuz I'm a lady. That which was once green then chewed and is still green but no longer resembles what it once was when it entered a four legged creature which produces the milk which we put on our cereal every morning. Get my drift? I mean not MY drift.....my point. Cow patties, cow pies, crispy frisbies, etc.

Anyway, the farmer comes every spring, he covers the field in "fertilizer" and then disks it under. When you are three years old, ten years old, twenty, thirty, aww heck big machinery is always fascinating.

A few days ago the farmer who happens to be two farmers, father and son came in separate tractors. One with the fertilizer and the other with the disks to turn it all over into rich soil. As they drove past my windows my three year old heard the tractors and went running to the North window, climbed up on the back of a chair there, and pushed aside the curtains so he could watch.

Native: Twacturs mommy! Two twacturs.

Mom: Oh cool! What are they doing?

Native: Dey stoppt.

Mom: Are they talking to each other? (I meant the drivers.)

Native: No, twacturs don't have moufs. Dey can't talk, but dey have wheels!

Silly me, guess I've been watching too much "Thomas the Tank Engine" with my baby and I got carried away thinking all engines could talk! I'm sure glad my baby cleared that up for me because that could have been really embarrassing. Folks around here might hear me talking to my truck and then they'll start thinking I was crazy or something!!

3 comments:

  1. Shania said, "Aunt Rachel has too much extra time."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell Shania that she's right! Any minute now I'm gonna get off my back side and do something!!! Just any minute now......or two.....or three.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes. I would have made the same mistake. And my cultural training goes far, far further back than Thomas. It's always good to have small people around with their fresh take on these things. Although I'm not sure tractors don't have mouths - they're loud as anything and they've got to be sucking up that gas with SOMETHING.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!