Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

My name is Ferdinand.



When I was a little girl we had this book. I wore out it's cardboard cover with all of the times I opened it and read the story between its weathered and worn pages. I'd sit and look at the pictures and marvel as the story unfolded. I never grew tired of it even when I knew what was going to happen.




Yesterday was a perfect day for exploring so my baby and I loaded up on my bike and we headed off. As we tooled along we came across some of these and all I could think about was Ferdinand and I understood like I did back when I was a child.



I wanted to stop my bike and plunk right down there in the road and just smell the flowers.



Just call me Ferdinand.........

3 comments:

  1. Last Summer, Jim and I took the granddaughters up camping and there was LOTS of flowers blooming. Bailey would just stop and sniff, stop and sniff, stop and sniff. After a while, she was poking along behind. I told her to hurry up, and she put her hands on her hips, and stated "Would you just let me do my smelling?" Well, I guess I was told! Back off Grandma...and enjoy what is around you! I will always try to remember that lesson. Ferdinand had it right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that old book. It's such a great one. And I definitely identify with ferdinand too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ferdinand was a very important story in G's life. I think we had the book, too, but it didn't connect with me the way it did with him. Then we had the Disney version of it when the kids were little, and got the book, and G used to read it to them all the time.

    For some reason, I have almost missed the lilacs. Char said the other day - you can smell the lilacs, but i missed them.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!