Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What are Lederhosen?




Lederhosen ("leather trousers" in German; singular: "Lederhose") are knee-breeches (knickerbockers or shorts) made of leather. (Or if you're working at a booth at Swiss Days helping your mother dip candles, Lederhosen are what your mother makes you wear even though you are in college majoring in Chemistry and quite eligible to all of the young ladies walking by taking special notice of your lederhosen....I wonder what she bribed him with. "Son, I won't pay for your college unless you wear these lederhosen.")


I decided to get in touch with my Swiss side this past weekend. You didn't know I was Swiss? Me neither! But I love cheese and when I yell at The Natives it sounds like I am yodeling and I love a good braut so there must be some Swiss in my blood somewhere down the line but only part Swiss because I don't like sour krout.

Last month it was my Polynesian blood that I got in touch with. You didn't know I was part Polynesian? I didn't either until I tasted Kalua Pork and then I knew for sure that back somewhere down the line there must have been a Polynesian woman that married my Jewish great great great great great great grandfather Himy. Oy! Bet that upset the family!

Anyway, enough of my genealogy. I attended Swiss Days and boy was that a load of fun and speaking of loads.......I didn't bring my camera because I wanted all arms and bags available for all of the stuff I planned on buying. Stuff that I couldn't live without and would just die if I didn't buy it. That would be the Irish in me coming out. No wait......when I DON'T spend......that is the Irish in me. Must be my Aboriginal blood coming through. I'm part Aboriginal too!

So, you're just going to have to take my word for it that I had a great time with the ladies I went with and I'm sorry I kept away for so long but it is important for one to get in touch with one's heritage from time to time.

5 comments:

  1. wow, that is quite the lederhosen picture--maybe you should check out this one:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginnahendricks/2194709277/in/set-72157603838944394/
    you can't see Kris's lederhosen well, but they're there. And they're short.
    I wish I could've come with youguys on the swiss days adventure, it sounded like you were having a blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Ginna that photo of you and Kris is GREAT!! What a hoot.

    I wish you could have come too. That way you could have heard your mother snoring and wheezing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. We OWN lederhosen (actually leather hose - HA). If I weren't running like the proverbial chicken, I'd dig out a picture of the Cam wearing them.

    WE HAD SO MUCH FUN!!!!! And I'm going to post a little. I didn't shoot much - mostly because I was using my arms and hands and bags to carry all the stuff you couldn't live without. Oh, and i couldn't either. And don't you mention snoring and wheezing again or I'll tell on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah Jody! It makes me a German, Polish, Jewish,Scottish, English, person who loves other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your sense of humor! Hey, when are we going to get together? LOL! LMK if you do a book group or something still!

    Clarice

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!