Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Friday, March 12, 2010

She Doesn't Need Wings To Fly



Last week the phone rang. It was our neighbor and friend. A woman we love and admire very much who just happens to be a librarian at the Provo City Library in the children's department. Would we like two tickets to the Fairy Tea Party on Saturday? This is a tea party that the city library puts on once a year that I have been told is a lot of fun and I needed to take Miss K to. Every year the tickets go on sale and every year for one reason or another we've not been able to go. This year, our librarian fairy godmother got some for us. Why yes! We'd love to go! Thank you!!!



The day arrived. On the invitation it said to dress in our fairy best or Sunday dress. As Miss K and I arrived it became very clear that I had somehow missed the fairy best part and only saw the Sunday dress part. As we walked to and into the library we were surrounded by glitter and makeup and wings. Even the mothers (and some fathers) were dressing the part.

We were seated at the Fairy Godmother table and Miss K whispered to me, "I don't have any wings mommy." It was one of those moments. Those moments when once again I look around and LAME MOM is in neon above my head. We'd come to a Halloween party and we're the only ones not in costume. I whispered in Miss K's ear, "You have wings. Yours are magical. They are invisible!"



Miss K soon forgot that she looked different as food was brought to our table and she and the other guests at the table started to eat. There was a little ballet performance that we couldn't see because of all of the fairy wings sitting in front of us. Kirsten didn't seem to notice. She was busy eating her food....and mine.....and waving her magic wand that was given to her around.

Then it was time. Time for each of the little fairies to get up and take a walk on the runway. The runway where they promenade in front of everyone and curtsy in front of the fairy king who sat in his thrown overseeing the tea party.

At first Miss K didn't want to. She didn't have wings! Then she decided that maybe she would if I went with her. When our table was called I walked with Miss K up to the runway. As her turn neared and she was ready to step up onto the runway one of the royal fairies who were telling/helping the little fairies do their walk asked Miss K, "Where are your wings?"



I told the royal fairy, "She doesn't need wings to fly." As Miss K circled and curtsied in front of the fairy king tears sprang to my eyes. She truly was the prettiest little fairy there. And I was proud of her. Proud of her for not letting being different keep her from flying.

18 comments:

  1. You are so right...that girl doesn't need wings to fly!

    I need to make sure I don't weigh my kids down when they are trying to fly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gads! I must be emotional today cause I just got teary-eyed. What is it with kids? Their stories get me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and you know what? she wasn't just the most beautiful wonderful girl there because you are her mama. i think that same thing every single time i lay eyes on that girl. she is magic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great memory! Certainly it's much better without the wings. It makes me think about other applications of the same principle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard that this is a fun shindig to attend but keep missing it.

    Beautiful story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That royal fairy needed a bucket of lard emptied over her head. What a question to ask ("Duh, I left 'em in the parking lot?") See, everybody else's comment is so lovely, and mine? Vindictive, ticked off, angel of vengeance. I mean, there have to be some cynical, narrow eyed angels in heaven, jah? You couldn't leave the dirty work to the sweet ones whose hearts are all compassion. That would be hell for them. You need a few mad angels that are capable of taking grim satisfaction in chastisement.

    I hope.

    And I have to second Misty, though - the real magic of that party came from you - and showered all over your daughter like pixie dust.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chastina, It's not easy is it? This parenting stuff is tough man!

    Lyndee, LOL! Sorry, I'm not laughing at your comment. I'm laughing at "Gads!" I haven't heard that in years. My mom always said that. Kids having a way of bringing us all back down to earth. Thank goodness for their grounding ability.

    Misty, I love you! Ya know that? I love you! I love your comment.

    Melissa, Me too. That entire Saturday my mind was going in several directions with all of the different applications and ways that I hope Miss K can realize as she becomes a teenager....that she can continue to be her own person and continue flying.

    Gerb, I'd have missed it this year too if it weren't for our friend looking out for us. What would we do in this world without friends who look out for one another? It would be a dull and lonely place.

    Kristen, I have to say I was ticked which is why I voiced real quick before Henny Penny. Miss K was already feeling self concious as it was but seriously, you should have seen her when she got to the end of the runway and turned in a circle twice. She was just beautiful and tears were pricking my eyes....She's growing up. And I'm not ready for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWWWWWW!!!!!! That is so sweet!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miss K has the best flight instructor too.
    Beautiful post, Rachel.

    Maybe I will take Emma one day sans wings too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hanna, Miss K could dress up as a mushroom and still look sweet wouldn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Natalie, We can start our own group. The group with the invisible magical wings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, that's true!!! She's just plain adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i second the motion for magically invisible wings....i want you to fill tables and tables of those kind next year. tables.

    k - believe me...i was feelin' it. i would NOT have handled myself as beautifully as rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful words of wisdom. Don't forget, mommy, you don't need wings either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Misty, Does this mean you're coming up to visit next year? :D

    Virginia, You too! Must run in the family. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jody, She wouldn't dare let me touch that hat! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful post. It was so great how you turned lemons into lemonade, Lame Mom. (Hey--I've been there, many times, and simply wallowed in my lameness. You recovered extremely well.) And Miss K handled the situation with beautiful grace and dignity. Good for her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lori, Practice makes perfect right? I've been in the lame mom so many times. Nice to know I recovered once! :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!