Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Breakfast makes champions

When I was growing up we had what we referred to as gum soup for breakfast. Stuck to the ribs as my mother would say. Gum soup and fresh whole cows milk.

No cold cereal for us! It was too expensive, full of sugar and air, and didn't have a lick of nutrition in it. Morning after morning we either had oatmeal, wheat flour cereal, cracked wheat (shudder), or homemade granola that had you picking remnants out of your teeth all day.



My mom is a smart woman! She knew that breakfast was the most important meal of the day and made sure we ate before we left for school even if that meant missing the bus because we were dawdling. We had to eat and if we missed the bus, then we walked the fifteen miles up hill in a full gale blizzard to school. I grew up in Montana remember. You think I'm exaggerating! I'm not! To a little person three miles to school feels like what I just described.



Now that I am a mommy I realize the wisdom of my mother and naturally want to raise The Native's as well as my momma raised me!

12 comments:

  1. 7-Up for breakfast? What are you trying to do to the Natives?

    Dr. Pepper, all the way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rofl! You had me for a second. I didn't even notice the soda. One of mine had pudding for breakfast yesterday. And today? Graham crackers. I deserve a swift kick in the pants. Btw, Teachinfourth-my son was so excited he was going to have you next year (unfortunately, we're moving).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE cracked wheat. Now girls, listen up: even this kind of breakfast is a carb fest and will leave the kid half asleep at about ten in the morning. There should be some protein in there. A peanut butter and jam sand on whole grain bread might even be better - not the sugary kind of peanut butter, though. I prefer a steak and some eggs - if I can get somebody to make them for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to find a nutritious and balanced breakfast. Is it healthier to eat a sugary breakfast or go without breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uncle Rush, Dr Pepper? That explains a lot!! ;)

    Lyndee, Dead serious. I just sat and looked at Mr. J shaking my head thinking, if my mother saw this she'd just die! For the record, we're not soda drinkers...a neighbor gave this to Mr. J the night before and he saved it...... for breakfast. :D

    Kristen, Oh no worries! I'm sure later in the day Mr. J picked his nose and got his daily protein. :D

    Chastina, It depends on the sugar. There is the refined sugars that are bad for you like in cold cereals and then there are the non complex sugars like in cinnmon rolls and donuts that are. So, it depends on what kind of sugar you're eating. :D Any other questions I can help you with?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh . . . who we are in our heads and what we do in reality are often too far apart for comfort.

    Give him cracked wheat tomorrow--it'll be fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for clarifying that for me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anaise, Oh so true. So very true. I wish so badly that I could get what goes on in my head to get in sinc with what I do in reality. I'd be AMAZING! :D

    Chastina, Anytime sister!!

    Jody, We should have made it a potluck breakfast!!

    Tami, LOL! Mr. J sure thought so!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, so no kidding... TF put exactly what I was thinking!
    Except in diet, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a nice Breakfast. Honestly! I had Cereal put in a Bowl of Coke. I once Microwaved that. My Mom panicked and decided to look when I ate my Breakfast.

    Toodles!:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Natalie, Like I want hyper Native's that early in the morning!!! :D

    Mr. S, Might your name have been "Joey" back when you were in the 5th grade? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!