Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What is affordable?


Photo Credit

Last week I told you that my baby girl and I had escaped. Taken off and flown the coo coo's nest. The first day we had Kristen Randle with us and had an absolutely delightful time. Kristen wrote about it on her blog and since she had the camera that first day (I let her. I wasn't about to tramp around Park City for hours with a heavy camera around my neck) I'll send you over to her blog for Part one and for Part two of our day's adventure. She does a much better job of telling the story and quite frankly, if it had been left up to me, all you'd have seen was photos of really awesome trashy shoes. So go take a look and be grateful!

The above photo is one of the adventures that took place on that first day and I have to tell my side of the story because I am the victim after all.......

The first store we go into, THE VERY FIRST I TELL YA!!! Was a clothing store. We're looking around and I see a dress on a mannequin that is kind of cute. Shimmery and pretty and I love the colors. I ask the sales lady if there is another I can look at and she informs me that this is the last dress BUT she'd be happy to take it off the mannequin just for me. How thoughtful of her. Naughty Kristen encourages and tells me what the heck, try it on. So, what the heck! I'll try it on.......

The dress is yanked off the now naked mannequin who didn't seem to mind being naked in public like I would have and I am taken to a dressing room. One of those dressing rooms with just a curtain between you and the public. I enter the dressing room and the sales lady yanks the curtain shut and then, STANDS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CURTAIN! She begins and boy does she lay it on thick. Hot bread out of the toaster with thick dollops of butter oozing and melting on top! Turning greasier and slimier the more she pours it on until I was so saturated I was literally sick to my stomach!

I walk out with the dress on and if you didn't think it could get worse it did! She ran out of butter and started slathering on bacon grease. Like I care what Melanie Griffith wears and buys when she is with Antonio Banderas! And then....the killer......She tells me the price of the dress. Which makes me gasp! And then she has the gall to tell me that an almost five hundred dollar dress. Yes, a five hundred dollar dress is expensive.........but affordable! Excuse me? You dare to assume what is or is not affordable for me? And we wonder why most of America is in debt.......

Honey! If I'm wearing a five hundred dollar dress.....then I better LOOK like Melanie Griffith and quite frankly, I didn't. Instead it made my bahootie look as big and wide as a billboard! All I needed to do was find me a matching necklace to hang around my neck which said, "Advertise here".

So, I didn't buy the dress. Only because it didn't make me feel beautiful. If it had......I'd have bought it for sure.....because it was affordable right?

15 comments:

  1. $500 is pennies compared to the woman who looks like a million dollars whatever she wears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOA!! Brian. Have you considered polygamy? You charming thing you. And best of all - your comment was RIGHT ON!!!

    The best part about the experience was the look on Rachel's face through all of this. I didn't know eyes could get that big and stare that vacantly. And the dress did NOT look that bad. Just made you look a little - scrawny, sort of. Which you are NOT.

    I wonder what else we could find out there that just might be so affordable. Laws, the possibilities.

    And the shoes really were kind of cool, and would probably have lasted for at least one good wearing. Were they affordable too???

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That makes me crack up... lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just another reason why I don't buy dresses...

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!!!!!!!!

    Honestly, Rachel... you are beautiful, but I thought nothing of the dress. I'm glad you and your daughter had fun finding out you don't need "affordable" dresses look good! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, brian's comment is just good, that's all.

    um. the dress? i am in SHOCK that anyone would ever spend 500 bucks on a DRESS. ever. except a wedding dress. maybe.

    wow.

    you are beautiful though. but i have told you that a million gazillion times. i guess i don't tire of saying it.

    beautiful!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. SM, Be still my heart...it is beating still isn't it? Because it just melted.

    Kristen, He may consider polygamy but I DON'T!!! :D And the dress was matronly. It made me look matronly and no one wants to look matronly even if they are....

    Hanna, Oh just you wait girlfriend!! :D

    Jody, Sniffle. I KNOW! I thought about you all weekend and what could have been..... next time!

    Uncle Rush, Really? That surprises me. I'd have never thought that about you. ;)

    Corine, You're a babe! Thank you. It's all in the eye of the beholder right? So I'm beholden to ya!

    Misty, The SM's comment is just good isn't it? I wonder what he wants... ;)

    The dress. Yes, I quite agree and thought the very exact thing excepting I could see me spending that much on a dress if I had millions to blow. I mean, what's a measly five hundred bucks?

    Thank you. Thank you. And again, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to laugh. On Main Street, Park City, $500 was probably affordable. It's amazing how much money some people have to spend. I still get sick if I spend $50 at dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Affordable? . . . she was probably trying to make commission.

    (I think you look beautiful.)

    I consider carefully before spending $5 on a dress at the Salvation Army store . . . $500 . . . good grief!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, Brian's comment is the cutest!

    I've been attacked like that before, and seriously, who in their right mind thinks that $500 is affordable? That lady is a nutcase, and has spent way too much time in snooty park city where evidently people have too much money.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anaise, LOL! I hear ya loud and clear. If ever the day comes and I don't think twice about plopping $500 down for a dress I want someone to smack me upside the head so I can get my priorities straight! (And thank you. You are very kind.)

    Ginna, He is....The SM after all....

    I've never been attacked to the extent that I was in this store. It was unreal. Sadly, a lot of the debt in UT comes right from our very own Park City.....people living WAY beyond their means trying to keep up with the Jones' next door not realizing that the Jones' are in debt up to their eye balls as well.......

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have enjoyed your photos of trashy shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathy, :D I should have taken pictures. There were some that I tell you what. I could have walked the walk in them!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man, you've got that SM trained well.

    I had the same thing happened when we came here looking for a house. A salesman at one of these newer subdivisions actually said to me, "Its only $10-20,000 more than what you were planning to spend." And we wonder why people can't pay their mortgages!?! Sheese.
    You did look great in it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Natalie, Only 10-20 thousand??? Are you kidding me??? Oh my! Choke! Gasp!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!