Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

A room with a view....



Since I have scads of time and am able, I decided to expand my horizons. I bought a book a couple of years ago in an airport book store that try as I might I've not been able to get into. It is this book: "A Room With A View" by E.M Forster.



I picked it up again the other day and decided I'd read it cover to cover no matter what it took. I was GOING to get through this book. It is a classic after all.....




I'm about half way through and it has been one of thee most painful experiences. I had originally thought that award went to "Great Expectations......." I'm still expecting something great.....and I finished the book quite a long time ago but this one even out does "Great Expectations"!




I love most books written during this time period. The late 1800's to early 1900's but for some reason this author is dryer than mud cakes on a hot summer afternoon!



Get on with the story! What story? I think that is the problem. The story really if only it were written, would consist of one chapter. The rest is all fillers. Kind of like cardboard.



I think I'll just be satisfied with my room and the view it poses. Much more fulfilling and satisfying!

6 comments:

  1. Amen! Don't you just wonder why some books made the "classics" list? I thought it was a real yawner too, and never finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the view from your room. I've found that some of the "classics" are very difficult for me to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss the view from that neighborhood. Enjoy it, love it and thanks for posting some pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel..Never read it... What is it about? Isn't it supposed to be extremely well written??? I've read a few excerps... it sounded good. You should try classics like Peter Pan or Pinoccio. Pinoccio, is seriously hysterical. Maybe I'll pick up "A Room with a View" it might be entertaining to be bored silly with a friend.
    Shell
    Shell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't read books right now . . . my brain is on overload . . . error message . . . file didn't transfer . . . need password . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saw the movie. It was rather charming, except for the naked pastor. I've always been tempted to pick up the book, but yes, some things written in that time period do better in the hands of a good filmmaker than they do in print. Like Emma. Snooooorrrrrre.

    Glad you saved me the trouble. I decided I wanted to read Bleak House, went to the library, and they didn't have it. Didn't have Bleak House. Weird. And there were more classics I checked on that they had maybe one copy - or maybe NONE.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!