Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Monday, December 29, 2008

A turkey is born.




Now that Christmas is over, we here at the turkey farm are settling in for the winter.





It'll be awhile before the spring thaw and new beginnings so we might as well hunker down and get all comfy and cozy.





Hold on a second. Did I just hear a little chirp? But that can't be! Baby turkey's aren't supposed to be born until the spring. What is going on around here?
Doth my eyes deceive me? I do believe I see a little beak through that crack.



I do not believe my eyes. A wing! This is absolutely incredible! Folks, you are witnessing something miraculous.





Every motherly instinct in my being begs to help this little creature escape. I have been sitting out here in the cold for hours watching this little baby turkey struggle trying to break free. The physical exertion is incredible and exhausting. I want to help but I know that I will only hinder so I watch patiently, breathlessly, willing this wee one to survive. To fight!





The wait is excruciating but worth it. This little poultry is a strong one. It will be quite some time before we can really tell but I think it is a "he", and I am going to give him a big strong name for beating all odds and bursting forth in the middle of the winter.





But first, I am going to tuck him under my wing and take him inside where it is warm so I can dry off his little feathers and give him something warm to eat. Aaaah, there is nothing like witnessing the coming forth of new life on the farm.

2 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad you didn't make the mistake of helping!! He had to break through that white wall all by himself so that he'd have the strength to carry on. How can you tell it is a "he" by the way? You didn't lift its tail - oh, wait—that's for cats.

    Well, I can't wait till Thanksgiving - yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 3rd picture, his cute little face peeking out from under the snow. How fun!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!