Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Do you believe in miracles?




Yesterday in church one of the speakers spoke on miracles. In our church members of the congregation speak unlike other religions where a preacher speaks week after week. Usually there will be two to three speakers. I like it that way. I like the diversity.

Anyway, as I was saying, one of the speakers spoke on miracles and it got me to thinking. Do I believe in miracles and the answer is YES! Yes, I do but.......here is where it gets tricky.

When people think of miracles they tend to think of big things. At least I do. I tend to think of people getting healed or cured all of a sudden. Things like that. I've wanted a miracle for Levi for years! I've wanted a miracle for myself and so my first though was yes, I belive in miracles for everybody else!





What if.........when we pray and we are asking for "that big miracle" and we don't get what we're looking for we assume that the answer is no and there is no big miracle for us. Could it be that the answer is "not right now" because we are indeed having miracles showered on us and we aren't recognizing them because we're too busy looking for the big miracle? I say "we" because it is friendlier than admitting it is "I" and "I" alone.

I think a lot of times I use the word blessings when in fact, they are miracles! They really are! And recognizing them makes them even more miraculous.

Recently the SM pointed something out to me. I'd imagined my summer going a lot different. I didn't picture spending yet another summer down and having all of the natives at home has I hate to admit been........hard. I'll save that vent for another day. The vent about I really love having my children home and want to be homeschooling and am angry that I can't anymore. Ya, that vent.





Anyway, it's been a tidge hard. The SM's work has been struggling like everyone elses and he's had to take several furloughs through out the summer. Several weeks of being home. One could look at this as yet another blow and not a miracle because not having work and pay is a bit of a drudge but.......here's the miracle. The SM was home more while the natives have been home so because he traveled less and worked less he was home when I needed the help more. I'm not saying we'd like to continue this miracle as home without pay causes a whole new set of problems but do you see the timing?

So, do I believe in miracles? You bet I do. Do I believe there is a miracle for me or for Levi? Everyday!

Do you believe in miracles?

6 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. Something that can look like a negative can actually be a blessing. Like when we found out the head gasket on our truck was bad...looks like a bad thing...right? Well we found out JUST before we were heading down to Phoenix. It would have been worse to find out in the middle of nowhere! Right? AND we happened to have the money to get it fixed. All in all....a good thing! There have been others, but yes, I do believe in miracles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe in miracles. Like you I don't recognize them like I should. Thank you for helping me focus on them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also tend to think miracles are things that happen quickly- like a blessing is given and instantly the lame walk. But one of the ingredients of some miracles is time. And just because time is an ingredient, it doesn't mean it isn't a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe in them. I sat down and made a list of all the ones that have happened to me - many of which wouldn't seem like that big a deal to somebody else. I made it so I wouldn't forget, because sometimes I do - sometimes I think heaven has forgotten me and rightfully so. It helps to remember being remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly Kristen........I forget all of the time!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!