Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

They not bunnies........they pigs!



Eva had her babies Sunday morning. Yes, you heard right. She actually had baby bunnies. Just don't ask Levi or he'll tell you, "They not bunnies........they PIGS"!

Coming into the world blind, deaf, and hairless they do look a bit like pigs.

Since this was Eva's first time things didn't go so well. You'd think these things would come naturally. Rabbits are quite prolific in the wild but sometimes first time mommies don't know what is going on and when I was a first time momma I didn't either and I still don't so we aren't going to hold it against Eva.

She had two babies. One lasted a few hours and the other until midnight Sunday.

We went from excitement to shedding tears and having a funeral in the backyard all in one day. Kind of hard to hold a little creature in your hands trying to help it to live only to have it take its last breath. We tried for hours but it wasn't meant to be. In the end, the tiny babies won. They got to go back home.

I thought the worst was over after the second baby died but the next day watching Eva in her cage so sad all day long........that did me in. I had to hold her. A lot!

My boy had to learn a hard lesson and us along with him. Nature takes its course and in the end there is only One who is in charge. He loves all of His creatures and with birth comes death. It is part of life but thankfully we know that death isn't the end.

May seem kind of silly to get all worked up about a bunny and her babies but there is a bigger picture here and what can I say......we're animal lovers in this house and I've come to a big conclusion. I'm not cut out for this! I get too emotionally involved. I don't wanna do this again......but Eva isn't my bunny and my boy wants to give Eva another chance so here we go again......stay tuned........more in a month......we hope!

9 comments:

  1. im so sorry...tell Collin im sorry to. Kind of like pioneer days...keepin the babies warm. Man...I think its hard now to take care of a baby..think about back then or if you were a bunny? anyways, im probably not saying anything worth saying...The whole way home Tyler kept saying "bloody pigs"...and "why did levi have to say that, now I can't get it out of my mind". We love Levi and he take on things...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me sad! I I hope Collin isn't taking it too hard...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, sad! After all that waiting too.
    This whole thing about being a mom isn't as simple as it should be, right?
    I hope the next time goes smoother, for everybody's sakes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, we are so sorry over here too. that is sad! i hope things go better this next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWWWW!!! That makes me so so sad! At least you've got 2 that will turn into the cutest little poof balls ever! Tell Colin I said I'm so sorry and that I said hi! Enjoy your little piggies/bunnies!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No Miss Emma. Eva had two and lost them both. It is sad isn't it?

    Everyone: I'll pass all of your "sorries" on to Colin. He's sad but he's a tough guy. Tough guys can be sensitive too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now that i see the picture of the babies, I think Levi is a very smart boy. They don't look anything like bunnies, they do look like pigs.

    So sorry they didn't make it. I think pets dying is one of the hardest things I've dealt with as a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SOOOOOO SAD!!!!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!! Good luck with the next batch!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!