Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Monday, October 5, 2009

Grocery Shopping on a Budget




Having spent many years going grocery shopping on a limited budget with chillin's in tow. I now have a PhD (Pretty Huge Distaste)in this department. Many have sought me out for advice and counseling. I have had a 99% success rate and today because it is 10-5-09, a day which must have meaning to someone in this big wide world I give you my advice for free. But only for a few short moments and then it goes back up to full price.

You have heard the rule many times, do not go grocery shopping when you are hungry. This is critical! So critical that I tell my clients the second you walk into a grocery store, go straight to the candy aisle, grab a package of Twizzlers, open the bag, take out a few pieces of licorice, and eat as you walk through the grocery store. I have found that peanut M&M's work well too. It just depends on how often you want to be putting your hand into the open bag while trying to load groceries.

If you have children with you, grab a box of the gooiest crackers or candy you can find. Rice Crispy treats are perfect. Just make sure it is something that when they bite into it, it snaps their jaws shut just as fast. Then, proceed with your grocery shopping. This takes care of wailing caterwauling children for the duration freeing you up so that you don't end up in the aisle with fly swatters beating your kids.

If you do these things you will have a 100 percent success rate. I did however have one client that this did not work for. You'll see why in a moment. There's always one....... Names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Bawlinda came into my office and related her experience. Here is what she said, "On Friday I went grocery shopping. I hadn't eaten anything in awhile. I remembered your counsel which has always helped me in the past so I beelined it straight to the candy aisle and grabbed a package of Twizzlers and ripped them open. I proceeded to walk down aisle after aisle trying to grocery shop but my mind was in such a state that I couldn't focus! At one point I found myself standing in front of a display of hot cocoa. So many to choose from. I couldn't decide which flavor so I put one of each into my cart. I continued on down the aisle and into the next. The baking aisle. I needed something in that aisle but I couldn't remember what it was. What I found was a sale sign for Guitard chocolate chips. The shelf was empty. The sale was really really good. Standing next to me loading shelves was a man stocking the shelves. I approached him and asked him if there were anymore in the back. He told me that he didn't know. He thought the store might be out. You can not imagine how this made me feel! I asked the man if he realized that the world was going to come to an end NOW! He was a kind man, or he was afraid of me, either way he left and said he'd see if he could find some in the back for me. I waited and a few minutes later he came back with a box. I grabbed the box from him thanking him to which he gave me a strange look. I told him, he wasn't planning on actually putting any of those on the shelf was he, and I took the chocolate chips and threw them into my cart along with the cans of hot cocoa.

I'm not sure how long I spent in the grocery store wandering up and down each aisle trying to figure out what it was I was supposed to put in my cart. When I made it to the check out and loaded my groceries onto the belt I still had no idea what I'd bought. All I knew was that it cost $130.00 and when the cashier asked me about the opened bag of Twizzlers I told her it was a shame paying full price for 1/2 a bag of candy".


I've been working with Bawlinda over the weekend and as of this morning she seems to be doing much better. Through much talking she admitted that she'd had a rough few days. Her handicapped son had had an attack and she was emotionally distraught over the situation. We agreed that not only should she not do any shopping but she shouldn't be out driving the next time she is an emotional basket case. This is why Chinese take out was invented. Next time, we're hoping for 100% success.

19 comments:

  1. I talked to Bawlinda on the phone myself, that very day. And yes, she was nearly hysterical. I hope you have been able to help her. Because I SURE CAN'T. She never listens to me. I give her really good advice like: "Stay home in your jammies and don't come out of the house for a year," just because of instances like this, when she really is pretty much certifiably insane, and driving home afterwards. Though I gotta say, her dealing with that open bag of Twizzlers was pretty shrewd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only way I can even try to remember what I want or need to get at the store is to have a list. And my husband laughed at me. At least until he did until he realized I'm better at staying within our budget when I have a list.

    And tell Bawlinda to enjoy the chocolate. Stephen's cocoa is the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, in this profession we like to think of insantity as an irrelevent state of being.

    Chastina, Bawlinda had a list.....and she still couldn't wrap her brain around the shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay so I am sorry to be a random blog reader but I found you through a friends blog and it really made me laugh, so thank you, for making my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure blad brunhelda or whatever her name is got it together. Leaves hope for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Bawlinda was completely in her right mind. Becasue anyone in thier right mind knows that when chocolate is on sale, forget the rest of the list and STOCK UP!!!

    As always, thanks for the giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel,
    Hope Levi is getting better. I talked with Pennie Christensen the other day and she told me to tell you to email her again. I guess she didn't get your first email. If you need the website again let me know. Take Care,
    Chrystal

    ReplyDelete
  8. Corinne, welcome! I'm glad you dropped by and that I was able to give you a laugh. Not something that I have to try very hard at by the way. :)

    Sarah. Brunhelda? LOL! Or is it Broomhelga? Oh she got it together alright. It's all sitting on her pantry shelf.

    Natalie, thank you! I'll let Bawlinda know that she done good.

    Chrystal, yes. Please send me the e-mail addy again and yes, Levi is doing much better. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. But seriously Bawlinda--who needs more in the house than hot cocoa and chocolate chips? Not me, no siree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...you keep me smiling... with some chuckles thrown in here and there! Luv you guys! (Levi's in our prayers... and you are too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ginna, but seriously...good point!

    Sandi, thank you. We love you guys too! Wish we were all closer. The boys would love some fishing buddies. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bawlinda -- you the same one backin' up Bessie???

    Now, I'm thinkin' that goin' about today . . . . Bessie is gettin' the better of ya!!!!

    Shoulda sent the chocolate to me!!!

    Ethel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ethel! You just mind your own business and leave Ol' Bessie outa this. Bessie's been doin' alota backin' up lately and she is plumb wore out ya hear? Just plumb wore out on account of all that chocolate and all. Backed herself right inta a corner she did and you know what corner I'm a talkin' bout! So you juz hush!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have to say that the idea of peanut M & M's are the mecca of candy when one is having a need...or Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, but those go down far to quickly.

    Hope Bawlinda starts to feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mr. K you speaketh ma langwedge. Reese's Peanut Butter cups.......oh Nellie! How bouts you think about waitin' round for my baby girl to get all growed up. Me thinks you need to be a part of this here family!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh, i am so glad i read THIS POST finally...i am so behind on my reading! you a funny funny girl. next time, just call kristen and give HER the list and tell HER to ignore it and just come back with cocoa because that way you can be obedient and STILL get the good stuff. i am glad you drive an armored vehicle in case you run into a mountain of chocolate on your way to the store next time. i hope levi is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Misty, yesterday I went to Wal-Mart and bought ANOTHER can of hot cocoa. It was a flavor I didn't already have.........;p

    ReplyDelete
  18. For the record, I have - in complete sanity - bought chocolate chips by the case when they were on sale. I don't see the problem here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kathy, and when in shortage I know where to come then don't I? This is good knowledge of things to tuck away for the "when" or "what if" days. :D

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!