Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

I didn't need that mom.......

I believe my first right and obligation as a parent is to embarrass my children.

As The Natives were getting ready for school this morning I noticed all of their stuff piled on the island. I made mental notes as to who's stuff went with who, what papers needed to be returned to teachers, you know the drill. When my two Junior High Natives went out the door I was busy getting Levi into the tub and yelled the usual "Bye, I love you, Have a good day"....

After getting Levi situated in the tub I came back downstairs and noticed one of the Natives binder still on the island. I hurried and looked at the clock. Is it possible he is still standing at the bus stop? I ran out the door and looked down the street and with relief saw that he was still there waiting for the bus along with all of the other Junior High kids in the area.

This is the moment when every parent stops and checks them self. "Do I run back inside and make myself presentable and chance the bus coming and therefore missing my child or do I just go for it and scar my son even more thus ensuring when he goes out into the world nothing could be worse than having me for his mum".

Let your imaginations flow with me for a minute. Bed head which makes Medusa look tame, yesterdays make up running down my face, pajama pants that don't like to stay up, a raggy t-shirt, nothing supportive supporting those which need support after giving nourishment to many Natives, and slippers. All that was missing was the terry cloth robe and curlers.

Take the image I just painted for you and that was what went running yelling her Natives name at the top of her winded gasping voice over and over as I ran to the bus stop.

As I got closer I heard one of the Junior High kids ask my son, "Is that your mother"? Neither one of my sons had turned around up until this point when the Native who was asked turned and then nudged his brother......the one I had been yelling his name out all the way down the street. The poor boy turned and shuffled his way to me and then said, "Mom, I didn't need that".

Really? Well, in that case before I go schlepping back home let me give you a big ol' slobbery kiss on your cheek and a pat on your bahootie cuz I'm your mummy and I'm entitled to embarrass you! It's my right.......it's my obligation.....it's what I do.

9 comments:

  1. hah, love it! But I don't believe you can ever look bad--you're so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Every mom should embarrass her child(ren). I agree with Ginna, I'm sure you looked gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I am so naturally cool, and take such good care of myself - because I can pull of the camy-Tshirt thing (slender as a girl, I am) and wear cool jeans, my kids always wanted to show me off. Trophy Mom, that's me. It's why they sat in the back of the bus on band tour - 'cause I sat in the back, too. You know- it's just natural class. It's a gift. And kids always know immaturity when they see it - and find confidence in that. Yeah. The good old days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL....oh, boy....I bet he NEVER LEAVES ANOTHER BINDER AT HOME FOR THE REST OF HIS TEENAGE YEARS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I'm sure if he ever doesn't need a particular folder again he'll stuff it as far under his bed as it will go. That was classic, Rachel. Absolutely classic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The whole statement, "I didn't need that" can be taken two different ways:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...quite simply, you are merciless. That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All you need now are high heels and some sheep to chase down. I love those moments.....I hope you embarrassed those children properly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ginna, believe me honey....I can look reeeealy skanky some days. This was one of those days.

    Chastina, no, didn't look gorgeous. Promise!

    Kristen, You are naturally cool and I find it really irritating!!! Even if you do snort in your sleep.

    Misty, I asked him I'd embarrassed him real good and he gave me that dimpled grin and said....."ya".

    Natalie, You can bet you are correct!

    Brittany, in this case it meant both. :)

    Mr. Z, Merciless. Yes, that is a good word and one I am to fulfill daily with at least one of the Natives.

    Shell. Oh my gosh! Seriously. Do you remember when I told you that story? We were at church hiding behind the room dividers laughing hysterically trying to be quiet both with tears running down our faces. I swear I probably wet my pants telling that story. Only me.......I'm such a dweeb! :D

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!