Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Networking. I'm totally into it.

I was talking to my neighbors sisters mother in laws best friends plumbers dry cleaners daughter and found out the coolest thing!

It's called blogging and a few years ago when I was introduced to the world of blogging and encouraged to start my own by this wonderful best friend and sister of mine I had no idea what I was in for.

Blogging sounded like something I regurgitated that resembled some form of squash after it hit the gag reflex. What was the point?

The point is.....I have made friendships I would have never met if not for blogging and I have been blessed by the talents and gifts of others that I myself can not do or would not know where to look for to buy.

When I was a kid......okay, who am I kidding. I still like to do this: Driving around at night out in the boonies people rarely cover their windows with drapes or blinds so you can see into their homes as you drive by and your imagination runs wild with stories you've conjured up as to what goes on in those soft yellow lit rooms.

There is a blog that I like to peek in on. It is this blog. Twin sisters write this blog together taking turns and I find these ladies to be very talented and full of ideas that appeal to me. One of their posts was a tutorial on making these stars.



I loved the idea of looking through this window on a dreary winter day and seeing pinwheels in primary colors.

The other day, I was reading another blog that I like to follow and the author posted a photo of some yarn she'd just purchased. I fell in love with the yarn. She also posted the link to the gal who she'd purchased the yarn from. I was delighted. Along with blogging I've embraced shopping from home on the internet and the gal behind the yarn did not let me down.

I told her what I wanted, the colors, and she set to work finding them and dying the yarn for me. Back and forth we'd e-mail as she'd ask questions, I'd answer. I'd ask questions, she'd answer.

Yesterday a package arrived in the mail. I opened it and it was Christmas in October! All because I'd peeked into someone else's blog. Wanna see what I got? Here's a little taste:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=31909186

"Come in, and know me better man"! (Charles Dickens)

I would encourage you to go and visit other people's blogs. You might be surprised at what you find, the things you learn, lives that touch you, and friendships that are made. Oh, and don't forget to leave your card (a comment) before you leave. No doorbell ditching aloud.

19 comments:

  1. Can I just say that I love that the yarn is named "Spicy"!?!? Of course, for you Rachel, what else would it be? I wonder what my yarn would be named....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say that I'm not even addicted to yarn and I want it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha You're a delight Rachel!
    I'm so glad we found such a nice yarn. I have two more colorways in my shop now too. http://knittydirtygirl.etsy.com
    Thanks for everything and for waiting for me to buy my dye, etc.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the web sites Rachel. I loved browsing... hmm... more Christmas gift ideas! I love your window stars. When I saw you making them, I couldn't figure out what they were for. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those window stars look fun. I think I might need them for my windows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Natalie, There's a yarn Rachel-Marie has on her etsy called Mauvelous. I'd say that would be you. Just Mauuuvelous dahling!

    Sarah, glad to pass on my addictions. :) You like the part of the addiction where I make you something out of the yummy yarn. I know you!!!

    Rachel-Marie, I saw the new colors. I LOVE the strawberry peach cobler yarn. Oh my! And working with you was seriously a great pleasure. You can bet I'll be back for more :) Not to mention I keep telling others to come see your shop. They won't be disappointed that's for sure.

    Lor, aren't the ideas great? I just love seeing what others come up with. :) Dad wondered about the stars too until I got them up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. blogging community! love having you as my "neighbor".

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's really amazing, isn't it? The world is a very different place now I think because of the internet. More good than bad in my opinion. (at least for me!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the yarn. I think I've made some great friends on etsy - fun people from all over who inspire me (while I'm also paying for stuff) to more flights of my own fancy. Actually, the whole blogging thing kind of frightens me. Once you open that can of worms, there are so many great people out there - it never stops. And all of them do something brilliantly, and then I feel like I do NOTHING brilliantly. Reading brilliantly is a great gift, but I only get restless and impatient when I read. So I mostly stick with family and should-be-family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yarn is great! I just wish I knew how to do something with it. Year and years ago Cheryl Carson taught me how to crochet but all I can do is a chain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Misty, if I can't have you next door anymore then I am truly grateful to have you "next door" via the internet.

    Ginna, I have to agree with you. So much good out there!

    Kristen, is that not exactly what I told you on your blog this morning......you in all of your fabulous motherhood glory making me look so darned bad!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. should be family. now, see...i like that term.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chastina, they're easy to make. Your kids would enjoy making them too. It's like making paper airplanes. :)

    Denae, if I can do something with yarn so can you. The ladies at Heindelsman's on center st. are wonderful. They'll sit you down right there and teach you. I've spent hours :D sitting in there getting their help. Kirsten also wanted to learn. Talk about patience. They sat there with her as if that was their sole purpose in coming to work that day. Great shop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's amazing just how large your 'neighborhood' can get through the information superhighway, isn't it?

    Good to have you as a neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mr. Z, and I you. I'm just sorry we weren't "neighbors" sooner. I've enjoyed reading your "Joey" posts. What a crack up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you and your kids need to do a service project and make me a bunch of them there stars. You know I'm moving to WA in a few weeks and will be all alone, sad, by myself. Sniff. Sniff. Sniff. Don't you have me for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sarah. My service project to you is sitting waiting to be framed......STILL! Tried to pick it up today but it wasn't ready.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're gonna have to teach me how to make those stars. Cuz, I can't possibly look at another blog. I don't have time to read the ones I do now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kathy, You're on. They are fun to make and oh so easy which for me is a double plus.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!