Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

My name is Nemo and I'm stubborn.




Hi! My name is Nemo and I have this habit of seeing something I want to make and thinking that I can make it no problem. It doesn't ever enter my mind that one might want to take lessons or instruction first. I can do this!

I roll up my sleeves and dive in head first and at some point come up for air wondering how in the world I've made such a mess of things because, "I can do this"!

I've done this with quilting, cooking, sewing, and now........knitting.




Awhile ago I bought this yarn. Isn't it divine?



I couldn't decide what I wanted to do with it until I saw this pattern from this company. So, yesterday I went to our local yarn shop and bought me the correct size needles which I am learning you can have every needle ever made and it will never be the correct size you need so you'll have to go and buy.....another set of needles. Just know that in advance k? I'm sharing my knowledge here cuz it is sooo vast.

Home from the yarn shop and I started to knit all the while with this little voice in the back of my head saying: Marlin: Clearly, you're not ready, and you're not coming back until you are. You think you can do these things, but you just can't, Nemo!




Ya, I know I should probably get help on this project but, "I can do this"! And I'm going to keep telling myself this and when I finish this project and one sleeve is 10 inches longer than the other and I can't tell the front from the back I'll do the same thing with it that I have done with countless other projects that I've made and realized that maybe before I start another project I should get some help. (Whew! Out of breath with that run on sentence.)

I'll blame it on a faulty pattern. There's a ton out there I'll have you know. Faulty patterns.....faulty recipes.......

12 comments:

  1. yeah but Nemo made it, didn't he? Not exactly the way he thought, but he made it!
    I think you can do it. And if one sleeve is longer than the other, maybe you can just say it's the new style!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's just no point in learning a new skill if you can't make something COOL! Who cares about potholders anyway?? When I decided to re-learn to sew (we don't count high school home-ec), I sewed a Raggedy Ann dress for Naomi--the skirt was miles and miles of ruffles. When I decided to learn to crochet, my first project was Emma's blessing dress. It all worked out. Yours will too, and I can't wait to see the finished project!
    Incidentally, you might want to invest in a set of interchangeable needles from www.KnitPicks.com. I love mine!!

    Korrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, do you know if they make faulty children? So just in case I fail with one of mine I can blame it on that.
    It will be beautiful in the end...just keep swimming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so, this is what i have learned: we are all in a pixar movie and my name is for sure marlin and yours is nemo and now we know that natalie is dori. who wants to take crush? by the way, how did you get to be the title of the movie??? lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see you in it. It'll happen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Misty, you couldn't have pegged me any better; the ditsy one, who forgets everything! Maybe I rather be Crush; wise, all knowing, and COOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ginna. Ya, he made it and he did have a gimpy fin so if one sleeve is longer I can say I'm gimpy.

    Korrie, I have interchangeable needles from knitpicks and I absolutely love them but the cables are never the right length it seems. As for your projects I'm not surprised!!! I'll show you the finished project if you promise not to laugh. :) I've seen photos of your sweaters......obviously your patterns work. :D

    Natalie, if kids are faulty it is the husbands fault. It comes through his line.

    Misty, actually I was thinking I was that little pink octopus that keeps "inking". :)

    Meridee. Thank you for the encouragement. You have more faith in me than I do. Then again, Halloween IS coming up and I do need a costume still.

    Natalie, you may be ditsy :D (not) but you are also helpful and think only of others so ya. Dori is a good pick for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. But isn't a faulty pattern better than none at all? At least this way you have something to sort of follow...and someone to blame if it doesn't turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. MR. Z, EXACTLY! Something to blame. Being the second to the youngest in a big family I was always grateful I wasn't the baby.....cuz I could always blame her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jody you and me both. Love the idea of rolling the sleeves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. No. YOu'll be fine. I STARTED with sweaters. I MADE UP a sweater. And it worked great. Well, fine. We still have them. YOu are an ACE. So you'll be fine. My next project is a tiny pig. I got a new book - you're gonna die. NO. THAT WAS THE WRONG THING TO SAY. You'll say, "That's sick!!!!" using the expression just as any good hip hop weirdo would. HOnest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristen, ummmmm YA! Of course you started with a sweater that you made up yourself. You have this ability to take something in your hands and make something amazing out of it!

    The pig doesn't have an udder does it.....

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!