Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

It's a bundt!.....There's a hole in this cake........



Since we are drowning in cherries I went looking for recipes I could throw the cherries into and found a banana cake, (I happened to have some very ripe bananas that needed to go into something) so I tweaked the recipe and came up with this bundt cake.......and then I threw a bouquet of flowers in the center of it. Just kidding......on the flowers part.



I found a recipe in the "Baking From my home to yours" by Dorie Greenspan cookbook.

I adapted the recipe to fit the ingredients that I had....namely the cherries.....the very ripe bananas........and some coconut water we had in our fridge that no one seemed to want to drink........I wonder why......

The cool thing about this recipe is that you can throw in pretty much anything you'd like. Even a pot of flowers if you're hankerin'. Me.......I made a bundt! And it turned out pretty darn good if ya ask me. Very nice and moist.

The recipe as I made it:

2 2/3 C. all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. grd. nutmeg (I like nutmeg so I dumped in more)
1 1/2 sticks butter at room temp.
1 C. packed brown sugar
3/4 C. sugar
2 large eggs, at room temp.
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
About 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 C. coconut water (We got ours from a Mexican grocery store. It comes in soda cans.)
1 C. dried cherries

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray and coat with powdered sugar a bundt pan.....(I do this with all of my cakes....forget the flour...I go for the sugar!!)

Whisk the flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg together.

In separate bowl beat butter until creamy. (Do this by hand-don't use an electric mixer.) Add sugars and beat well, then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla, bananas, and milk. Add liquids to your dry flour/sugar ingred. Mix until just Incorporated. Add the dried cherries.

Pour into your bundt pan and bake for about 50 minutes depending on your altitude. For me, it went for about 55 minutes. Do the cake test with a knife or cake tester to make sure your cake is done.

Transfer to a cooling rack and cover with a glaze making sure the glaze soaks into the cake.

The glaze I made was with the rest of the coconut water. I took the water and mixed it with powdered sugar until it was the consistency that I wanted and then covered the cake.

Actually, truth be told. I didn't feel well the day I made this cake so I made the cake, threw it in the oven, and then told my SM what to do when it was done baking and I went to bed! When we served the cake I sprinkled more powdered sugar on top cuz.....ya can't have too much sugar!!

I hope you all had a happy 4th weekend........we sure did.......and if I get around to it.....I'll tell you all about it!

P.S. Did you know spell check can't spell bundt? Mine is going crazy over it...

4 comments:

  1. That cake was really, really, really good. It was the only thing I took seconds on. Oh, except for the chicken salad that finally went home (YAY) with Kathy. It was moist but firm, and tasted fab. In fact, I wish I had some. RIGHT NOW. Having said that. YOU SIT BACK DOWN. I DON'T NEED IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to be asking you for recipes like this that use cherries...my husband was particularly interested in muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marseille, I have an orange cherry muffin recipe that we all think is incredible!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!