Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

So we're in Holland......did you know there are chocolate chips in Holland?

Yesterday we started the potty training saga. Hard enough with a "normal" child. Add the element of having a child with special needs mentally and well........it makes for some interesting times.

Can I digress for a moment? Politically correct. Gets very irritating sometimes. I used to call my son mentally handicapped but then I was just told that that is no longer politically correct. Handicapped is parking. The "correct" term is mentally disabled. Tomorrow someone will be telling me that disabled is not politically correct because you see slogans all of the time that say things like, "Take the dis- out of disability". I do happen to like that slogan by the way, just using it as an example but honestly I can't keep up!

Anyway, yesterday. We were talking about yesterday. Another day in bed for me which I guess if one were to think positively is a good thing because my bedroom is right next to the bathroom which was visited often. You see, Levi used the potty and I made such a big fuss and gave him a chocolate chip. It was fabulous and fabulous two minutes later when he squeezed out a wee drop, and two minutes later when he squeezed out a wee drop, and I kid you not this went on all morning. I moved my bed into the bathroom I was spending so much time in there. Okay, I didn't but I thought I might need to!

We only had one accident later in the evening during dinner. That would be because that was the longest stretch we'd gone being away from the bathroom and the chocolate chips.

Today........I dread seeing all of those chocolate chips again.........

Potty training Levi has brought up other interesting factors. Digression of the baby. The baby felt he needed a chocolate chip too every time he went wee and needed me in the bathroom holding his hand as well. The first time it happened I did it......but when it happened again.......I tried explaining to him that these were Levi's and Levi was learning to go on the potty like a big boy just like him! Wasn't that a nice and purdy speech? My baby didn't think so either and continued to squall for chocolate chips cuz, "I go potty too"!

As the day wore on I was finding that to survive one must dig deep down and so that is exactly what I did. I'd give Levi a chocolate chip and then when he wasn't looking I'd dig deep down and get me a handful. The day went much smoother.




While sitting in the bathroom all day eating chocolate chips sounds romantic it does have its boring elements so I learned to make these stockings. Kristen showed me these from this site awhile ago and since she is going into surgery today I decided to try and learn how to make them and make her one with leftover scraps of yarn from my baby girls bunny/piglet/doll thingy I made her.

Today........the chocolate chips make their second appearance which will either be applauded and excitement all around at their grand entrance or it could turn out crappy........pun intended.

3 comments:

  1. those little stockings are SO cute! I wish that was the kind of thing I could do, you're amazing! And continued good luck with the training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stockings ARE so cute. And soft. And comforting. And I am amazed and impressed and freaked out that you are picking up this knitting thing so fast and furiously. I want choc. chips, too, but I don't want to have to work that hard to earn them. So I guess I'm still going to lose a little weight here . . .

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!