Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Thursday, July 30, 2009

I've been stripped buck naked. Now what?




Last night I was sitting on my front porch thinking. The family was gone for the evening and I wasn't feeling well enough to join them so I had some quiet time to contemplate things.

I thought about the things that I used to identify myself with and I realized something. We all identify ourselves with something. It might be a persons car, or their singing, their writing, their looks, their athletic abilities. They might be a talented speaker or artist.



For me, I felt like I could do anything if I wanted or tried hard enough. I loved to run and push myself in exercising and running. I loved to do things for others. Take people meals, clean for them, do their yard work, etc. I could clean the house, can and process food, do laundry, and ironing all in a days work. I took pride in being a hard worker. It is how I was raised. My identity was in a body that could run forever.

Take those things we identify ourselves with away and what are you left with? You've two choices really. Those who can't get past where they'd been and all they can talk about is what they used to be like, how it used to be, etc. and they become angry and bitter or those who move on and I don't know. Create a new identity? Or maybe those people who despite being stripped down had more to them so that when their "identity" was taken away they are still wonderful to be around because they know that the identity the world associated with them was just that. Something of this world and they know who they are. Children of God. What better identity could you have?

My dad told me once that fancy cars get rust, sexy bodies wrinkle and sag, it is the things of this world that you take with you to the next that matters. The relationships that we build here. The families that we have. Being famous or popular here on earth, having tons of money and having expensive things means nothing. Strip that all away as we will be in the next life and then what?

So, as I sat there last night contemplating who I am now that I've had my identity stripped away so to speak I realized it doesn't matter because underneath it all I'm who I've always been. A daughter of God.



Now, remind me of this the next time I'm wallowing in self pity when the desire to go running is over powering and my body won't let me and don't be offended if I tell you to stick it in your ear......it's the identity crisis talking.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting your feelings on this! I have been sick for a while too and I love to run and exercise and be as busy as I can be! Now, I can barely clean my little apartment without crashing on the couch for some food network time. Of course we have wonderful husbands and families that take on the extra burden when we can't do it, but I still get to the end of the day and feel less accomplished. I am grateful for the sense of humor and perspective you have! It's sometimes all I can do to not cry at night because I am hurting so bad or I have not done my job as a good wife. Anyway, I am done complaining! I know that someday it will pass and I will be good again! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany, Keep a journal. Keep a daily journal. Even on the days when you are too tired and that is all you can write, "I'm too tired" keep one because some day you'll go back and read it and realize that you made it!

    What you are going through right now is tough. Really tough but in a few months what you will hold in your arms will make it all better and I promise you, you'll say it was worth it. New babies are the best bandaids for 9 months of hell. :D

    Remember, you may not be doing the things you are used to but your body is working really hard to take care of that little baby and that is all that matters right now so you just sit yourself up all propped up cozy like and watch food networks to your hearts content. :D You're working hard! Every momma knows that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everybody always says these things- the you-can't-take-it-with-you things. And they say these things because that's the way it is. I believe it. I believe it down to the ground. And frankly? You haven't changed for me at all, not one bit. So I guess the things that you thought identified you were not the things I saw and loved. Because everything I saw, everything I admired, everything I cherished in you is sitting right there in front of me every day now.

    And it still puts me to shame.

    And inspires me.

    So there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen.......I love you!!!! And I love you for loving me and ignoring all my flaws. :D

    Jody! Ya, miles today but we've got eternity to sit on each other's porches and talk the day away. In the next life things will be so much nicer in so many ways and levels and you are too a good cheerleader cuz you know exactly what I am going through my WNV sister!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true, this is something most of us will endure as we get older. Thank you for helping me learn and to do it right. Your faith and testimony are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!