Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Monday, February 22, 2010

Credit Card Theft




The phone rings and it is Visa asking me to verify recent transactions. Did I purchase shoes at some store out in Tennessee? Well, I rightly don't know! I do have a thing for shoes.......Maybe The SM bought me a new pair of shoes over the internet! Oh goody. I'm excited!

Did I buy fifty dollars worth of food at a Subway in San Francisco? What? Fifty dollars at Subway? Who spends fifty dollars at Subway? I can think of a gazillion other places I'd spend fifty dollars on food but fast food? Subway? Did I spend fifty dollars at another fast food chain out in San Francisco?

Sir! I'm not even IN San Francisco and I can guarantee neither The SM or I ordered Subway or any fast food for that matter over the internet. Houston, we have a problem!

Are we in possession of our credit cards? Why yes! Then how in the???? And then this news article comes to my mind..........THOSE TURDS!!!

I call The SM. Did you buy gas at a 7-eleven anytime soon? He never buys gas at a 7-eleven.......until........a few days ago.......ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

$50.00 at a Subway. $50.00 at another fast food restaurant....are we seeing a pattern here? Something rather suspicious? No fifty dollars and XX cents? Just fifty dollars even. Hmm.

Steps have been taken, accounts shut down, cards frozen, the authorities are on it, no big deal right? It's not like my world is run by a credit card! Or is it?

The other day I went to Amazon.com. I belong to a book club and wanted to get the next books that we will be reading. Oh wait! I can't. I don't have a credit card! Grow up, go and check the books out from the library like everyone else.

I run to the yarn shop to get help with a project and run out of yarn. No biggie. I'll get some more. Oh wait! I don't have a credit card and I don't carry cash around with me. This one hurts a little more.....but I deal with it.

Habits. Just habits right? I'll only be without a credit card for a few weeks. I can run and get cash out of a bank or GASP! Write a check! But wait! Levi's diapers are running out. I've got to order some more and since you can't just waltz into any old store and buy youth diapers I have to order them from ALASKA of all places.....I have to do it over the internet. And yes, use a credit card.......

I'm willing to let some modern conveniences go from time to time but disposable diapers on a kid Levi's size? Heck! On a kid any size!! Sob! I want a credit card!!!!

16 comments:

  1. shoot! not having a card STINKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happened to my sil but I'd never heard about it until Saturday. What happened with 7-Eleven that they can get your number?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man...That really is....That just...It just...sucks!! Okay. There is just no other word for it.

    I was going to say the same as Ginna, let ne know how and I'll order those catch alls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Misty, It totally does! RUDE I say! RUDE!

    Ginna, It does make it a bit inconvenient for the rest of us but I figure, since it is being taken care of...and even if it weren't......it's out of my hands and they'll pay eventually. Crime doesn't pay right? That is what all of the signs say.

    You are so sweet to offer to help me get Levi's diapers. Both you and Natalie. I'll let you know if I need to take you up on the offer. The SM might have another card with a different company I can use. I'll try him first and if not...well you can bet I'll be banging down your door in a huge way! :D

    Lyndee, We're just guessing it was 7-eleven because we didn't make any other purchases that someone could get our numbers from. They put false fronts on the gas pumps so they could blue tooth your numbers and then they make false credit cards....

    Natalie, You said it! Bites the big one! I doubt they will, but I hope they get caught.

    Thanks for the offer to help. You and Ginna both. I'll let you both know if I need help. Hopefully The SM has another card from another company we can use. If not...as I told Ginna. I'll be banging on your door. Going without sugar hurts.....going without diapers for Levi....will kill me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jody, LOL! Seriously? Wallpaper? Okay, that is worse than going to San Fran and spending fifty dollars at Subway! You win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jody, No, YOU win! :D I don't wanna win this one. :P And guess what? I aint stuck to the couch anymore.....I actually got up and showered! Although there is no guarantee I won't get stuck again later today....

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did they get your number? Did they find out? This makes me SO MAD. One of my cards was cancelled at the credit union because somebody had hacked into the system and stolen a bunch of info - I asked them not to cancel my card until I got back from my trip to Oregon - and they didn't - until the drive back, when we had no cash and had to get back home on GAS. The gas station lady said, "The machine is telling me to confiscate your card." But I talked her out of it (having tons of picture ID) and she let me keep it. So we did get home. But because some (your word was GOOD) decided to take what he had not worked for, I was nearly stranded a day's drive from home. Jerks. JERKS.

    And you can use my number any time, as you know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pain! I heard the story on the news site. I'm sorry that you were affected by it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristen, They get your numbers somehow by some scanning device and they blue tooth it while sitting in their car using a computer. What is amazing to me is the extent these people went to. If they'd take their "brilliant" minds and do something useful and productive with them, they might actually make quite a bit of honest money contributing to society. Instead....they damn themselves. Quite literally.

    Chastina, It is a pain actually. A lot of paper work involved and us running the paper work all over kindgdom come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sooo sorry! Hope you get out of the credit card habit soon!!! (just like I will hopefully get out of chewing my nails...)
    HABITS ARE HORRIBLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will never buy gas again...does that offer on horseback rides still stand?

    I am so sorry this happened to you. A few years ago my checkbook and debit card were stolen, but not noticed until after $600 was spent from my account.

    I know how this feels...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hanna, Yes! You need to quit chewing your nails. If you figure out how...let me know. There are several in this household that chew on their nails!

    Uncle Rush, Aarrrgh! It's frustrating isn't it? Thankfully, Visa caught it quick before it reached the amount yours got to. That's terrible! On the news they said don't pay at the pump. It's inconvenient but go into the station to pay....Pain in the patootie that is with all of The Native's in tow....

    You betcha on the ride. You let me know and I'll saddle up a equine for ya! ;) Seriously! You should go on one of our mountain rides....AMAZING photo opportunity.........

    ReplyDelete
  13. one time I was at the dr and my credit card wouldnt work...no biggie..I have a debit too (diff. company)...shoot i couldn't remember the code & had to call my husband. we called the credit card company who cancelled our card because someone in some country I can't pronounce was buying something with it. we don't know how they got our number. our company just cancelled and sent us a new one. was it just 7-11's?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marseille, No, not just 7-elevens. There were one hundred some odd gas stations that were hit all up and down the Wasatch front.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I'd better check my CC account. I keep a back up card for emergencies like this and for good measure. I tend to lose my favorite cc on a regular basis. It's such a pain when I have memorize a new number.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kathy, Thankfully, Brian has back up cc's that he uses on his business trips. Me, I've only the one. Never needed more than one before.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!