Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Fashion. To Each His Own.



After giving birth to four boys I felt life couldn't get any better. I was quite happy with boys and felt that the Lord was smart in not sending me a daughter. Girls wore frilly clothes and had this stuff called hair that you were supposed to do up all cutesy.

I can't even do my own hair let alone a little girls so I was quite content with my rough and tumble boys. Until, I found out that number five was...a girl.

As the time drew near for this little precious bundle to make her appearance I was unashamedly whisked away to the side of lace, frills, bows, and pink. A whole new world had opened up in the form of baby girl apparel that I had no idea existed!

As a newborn and toddler I was able to dress her like a little baby doll in what ever I wanted and the Lord really does care folks about His little ones. I promise you He does because my baby girl didn't grow any hair on her little bald head for a very, very, very long time. All of those cute little hair bobbles I'd bought for baby girls......useless. And a good thing too because I had no idea what to do with them!

Looking at what my baby girl walked out of the house in this morning (and we've seen many outfits just like this over the years.......) it reminds me of another girl years ago who would wear bright purple knee high athletic socks with her bright red and black basketball uniform....nary a care in the world for fashion.

I hope my girl has a baby girl just like herself. To carry on the........tradition!

15 comments:

  1. oh, darling girl. it just doesn't get any better.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help but think of the Ramona books when I look at those skinny legs. She would be perfect on the cover of a Beverly Clearly book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Misty, Oh but it does! You should have seen what she was wearing up top before it was covered up by her sweater! I made a comment and she said, "I don't care!!"

    Sarah, You know, I think you're right. Do you remember when she was on her bike and made M crash as she whizzed past him yelling, "Ladies first!!!!" Totally a Ramona moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also a master of mis-matched attire back in the day. It was so much more fun to dress that way than the way everyone else did! I especially love the little critters at the top of her socks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I'd rather let my kids come up with their own combinations and find their own style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. traditions are great! Especially when they are passed down like this one. She did you proud today, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TOO FUNNY! I'd have died, but my daughter does the same blinking thing. It kills me. She got her daddy's genes, for sure. Although she does have some strange internal rules for what goes with what--she came in this morning wearing a pair of shoes and jeans and said, "I'm sorry, but I have to have a pair of jeans that go with this pair of shoes." I looked them over, couldn't find anything wrong with the pairing, and made the mistake of asking what the problem was. Flounce, blow, flop, shrug, sigh. Pathetic mother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LUV her outfit! She looks cute in just about ANYTHING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gerb, The flapping critters at the top of the socks added just the right touch! You can't see them very well but she has lovely sparkly skulls flapping on her glittery tennis shoes. :)

    Jody, LOL! After some of the photos you've been sporting on your blog she'd fit right in!

    Chastina, I do appreciate having children who are comfortable in their own skins.

    Natalie, Yes she did didn't she!! I am right proud of my baby girl. I just hope she continues the tradition of not giving a moments thought to what others think about the way she dresses.

    Lori, I'm afraid I'd be with you thinking, "What? What is wrong with your outfit???" Like duh mom!

    Emma, She does have that talent doesn't she?

    Virginia, LOL! You remember those socks?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl - her SOCKS match. You could do WAY worse. In fact, if I could get away with wearing short, flower skirts over polkadot leggings, I do it in a heartbeat.

    The thing is - she is SO LONG.

    And I can see her as Ramona. Maybe we were writing the wrong book --

    And, like Gerb, I am in love with the little things she fixed to the top of those socks. I feel so everlastingly dull right now. I've got to rethink my own pallet -

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm just remembering how Chaz (surprise) did the same thing. And Gin, to a certain extent. G kept wanting to "sit down" with them and explain to them what colors actually work together. He was in excruciating pain, looking at them. But I blocked for them, quite happily. It was either that, or see them always dressed in classic levi's and navy blue T-shirts. And I mean Every dang day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristen, Yesterday the socks matched. Most days, they don't!

    She is long isn't she? I've no idea where she got her long legs. Both she and Mr. T have long legs. The lucky ones considering their parents have short shanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. At least she looks like a girl!

    I think you might be able to get that photo published in a fashion magazine. I don't think she's too far off current fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kathy, I think you are probably right. I've seen pretty close to this same thing walking around the malls these days.......

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!