Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Driving lessons.

There's nothing like teaching your teenager to drive to blatantly point out what a lousy driver you are.

As I sit next to The Eldest I do try very hard to wrap him up in as many positive comments and compliments as I can. There is nothing like a negative nagger to make one discouraged so since I do have to point out the mistakes/errors of his driving, I try to shower more positive then negative feedback. Makes the correcting easier to swallow. Right? You agree? Nod head here please.

There's only one problem. When I'M driving The Eldest loves to point out when he thinks I'm in error. We all know that is impossible so he makes things up and it really is ridiculous because he actually delights in trying to find fault but he hasn't caught on that if he's going to pretend to find fault with my driving......he needs to follow the example and back me up with 99.9% compliments. It doesn't even have to be with my driving! I'm not picky. He could tell me my hair looks nice today, he loves how sometimes I don't make dinner and he and his sibs have to fend for dinner, how he loves having a clean bedroom so appreciates that I make him clean it every so often. I'm easy to work with! I'm easy to please!

But no. Case in point. Yesterday morning:

Eldest: You're breaking the law mom. You're speeding.

Me: (Muttering under my breath.....Am not, anyone with a brain knows it is legal to go five over.) You're right honey. Thanks for pointing that out.

Eldest: Your blinker is on mom.

Me: Yes, that's right honey. At some point eventually I AM going to make a right turn.

Eldest: WHOA MOM! That light was RED!

Me: (Muttering under my breath....it was NOT, it was pink!) Oh my! You're right. You just make sure you don't ever do that okay honey?



Sniff! Sniff! What is that smell? Dang furnace went out and I'm trying to get warm by the fire. I'm trying to blog here about driving with The Eldest and something REALLY smells!! Oh my gosh!



I've done gone and burned my hair!! Huge chunks are falling to the ground!



Seriously?



Evidence would say so. Hair on floor.....strong stench in air......and hair stuck to the glass......

Oh this is just rich! This is just fantastic!

Tomorrow. A post showing me with a new hair doo..........

The End!

18 comments:

  1. I'm sorry I'm laughing so hard. I do mourn your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. at least its not your house right?? better brian come home to a hairless wife then no house? your hair saved your life...and the cute black sweater you are wearing...at least you got pink shoes. that makes everything better right? you think next time you can get them in an 8.5...im just saying. I think you got the wrong size :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my goodness!!! The eldest makes me laugh. I remember trying to teach Matt how to drive a stick in the church parking lot. So many great memories.

    I am so very sorry about your hair. At least its just hair and not something else, like a natives elbow. (hangs her head in shame)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh! "rachel! your one true beauty!" lol (name that movie please)

    at least you didn't cut it all off.

    um. those lights are pink sometimes and...and...i would stop driving with mr. i'm-old-enough-to-drive-and-old-enough-to-lose-that-license-to-a-pair-of-scissors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry, but I am laughing, laughing, laughing. Really Rachel, if you wanted shorter hair, hair cuts really don't run that much and have got to be a lot healthier for your hair than burning it off...
    I'm getting my hair cut on Saturday, what do you say we both go short?

    I can't stop laughing...I can just picture you & the smell & the hair & the words flying out of your mouth...(more laughing). I hope your furnace gets fixed quickly! :)

    On the eldest and driving...Save your burnt hair and shove it in his big mouth the next time HE gives YOU driving pointers. That'll teach him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, Don't be sorry! I'm laughing hysterically myself. I pulled yet another, Rachel!!!

    Alex, I keep getting the wrong size! When will I EVER LEARN! I'll be sure to tell Brian when he sees me tonight with short hair that it being burnt off saved the house! I'm sure he'll feel better about looking at a bald wife. :D

    Denae, Oh heavens. We haven't even gotten to trying to teach stick yet. Oy Vey! Hair grows back, elbows heal and said Native can't even remember the episode so you stop remembering too. That is an ORDER!!!

    Misty, :) Yes, my one true beauty and it is all cut off, in the trash, sucked up in the vacumme, stench still in the air....Gone. Hair all gone. I hide in shame....

    I give up. Movie name please. Can't think of it.

    Jody, Definetly a stay in bed day. Yes, The SM comes home and may return back to his mistress in Germany after he gets a look at my hair. :)

    Natalie, You should have been here. Seriously, I haven't laughed so hard. I should be sad, upset, something but it's just hair right? And I did go short!!! Sooooo, I dare ya. I double dog dare ya to go outlandish and get a new doo!

    Photos of the doo. Tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should totally spike your hair like I did w/ mine!!!! Poor Brian..... at least hair grows back, right? (to really jazz it up, die your hair bright red or orange; something really different)

    -Shania

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shania, So you think that I should spike my hair no? :) Hot purple?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah. You've been talking about hair cuts for a month, you little weasel. Note for database: this one will do ANYTHING to get what she wants.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My permit-wielding teenager does the same. I simply tell him that his words will determine how quickly I let him get his actual license... and since his sister is getting her permit this month he's pretty anxious to please me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gerb, LOL! That is a good one! I will remember that one and use it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness!!! You burned your hair?! That's just a little scary!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is "rich." I am cackling right now. But I'm definitely laughing with you, and not at you. That driving lesson must have been something else.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lori, It's ongoing. Pretty much anytime I drive he tries to find SOMETHING he can pin me on. I find it quite funny.

    ReplyDelete
  15. just like meg in little women (misty was quoting the littlest march (@ jo), though her name escapes me right now.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!