Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Sewing 101 ! Ask someone else to do it.




This is why the rants lately about sewing. This is why if you came to my house right about now you would encounter a pile of hair and me stumbling around bald with red glazed eyes. In theory it is a darling outfit is it not?

The little leggings alone with that ruffle on the bottom....they just spoke to me. What can I say? I saw the pattern and forgot all about my sewing ineptness. I have been sewing for three days working on this! Reason number 7 that I shouldn't have gotten out of bed the other day and started this mess.

As you can see the sleeves still aren't finished nor is the bottom ruffle on the dress. That would be because as I was FINALLY rounding the bend....I could see home plate in sight........I ran out of thread........

Didn't surprise me. In fact when it happened I threw back my head and started to have an out of control hysterical melt down laugh. The dress you see, the pattern had a flaw. Two major flaws which I have informed the company of, and they checking the pattern confirmed the mistakes. This of course AFTER I'd cut out and started sewing the dress. The sleeves didn't match up by an entire INCH and another small wee factor......the pattern is undersized. It is too small. What should be a loose dress on my baby girl is a tight fitting throw up of color.





What you see pictured here is the matching bandanna. Guess what? It fits! So do the pantaloons, in fact, the pantaloons fit so well I could fit two of my baby girl in them.

If you don't feel sorry for me yet....let me also point out that not only was I making this for my baby girl but another for my niece who is turning 8 in February. I have TWO dresses that are too small.......and yes, I measured everything including my daughter first. According to the pattern....it should have fit....it wasn't until after the fabric was cut out and the first seams sewn that it became apparent that it was too small.

Anyone have a wig they'd like to lend me?

5 comments:

  1. Aw, and it's so cute! Too bad the pattern was messed up. At least you could tell it was though--with my skills I wouldn't even have gotten that far! I can barely cut out pieces on my own. My mom (and mother in law) would be ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. STOP RIGHT THERE. I leave, and you become wild and irresponsible. this is EXACTLY the kind of thing you are NOT allowed to do without a safety net, all three of which are out of town. STOP. Breathe. My goodness. And I had thread, you dorktwaddle. Tons of it. Call Char and she'll bring some over. Of all the consarn, stubborn, pony headed puff balls -

    ReplyDelete
  3. How small, too small? Can you put a dart in under the arms? Or how about an extra panel in the back?? Ruffles can be readjusted. The easiest would be the dart under the arms....which is why I don't sew. Last thing I made to wear were certain dresses for a sister's wedding I nearly lost my temple recommend over. No more sewing for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are two funny my bald friend. Of course I knew it wasn't your lack of skills, and I am sure you will manage to save the outfit yet. But don't forget to take it easy.. Best of Luck.
    Shell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it certainly is cute! And of course I would ask someone else to do it, LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!