Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Friday, January 2, 2009

Off with their heads! And kindly wrapped in tissue paper....


Have you ever read, "Girl of the Limberlost"? Gene Stratton Porter is by far one of my favorite authors. (I have many........). I have read Girl of the Limberlost several times and each time I read the part about the little boxes that she makes for her friends with all of the little gifts in it wrapped up in tissue paper I find it quite charming.


I suppose that is why when Kirsten received this little box for Christmas from a friend I was so taken and charmed by it. It reminded me of gifts given long ago.

According to this friends mother, the floral paper that the box was wrapped in had been saved for like FOREVER. The paper had been given to this girl and she, delighted with it had saved it for the perfect opportune moment to use it.

This little lady is a few years older than my baby girl but is quite taken with my baby and loves her to pieces. My baby girl of course adores this friend and thinks she is the world and all that!

For days my baby girl would look at this pretty package under the tree with her name printed on it. A pretty piece of floral tied with yarn and a candy cane.




The moment came for my baby girl to open her gift and she was not disappointed. Inside wrapped up in tissue was a little family of mice having tea, some stickers, some beads, and a shiny quarter for Kirsten and this adorable note telling Kirsten that all but one of the mice's heads come off!

5 comments:

  1. so adorable. She'll probably remember it forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love The Girl of the Limberlost!!! One of my faves I have only read it three times :o)... I love the gift Kirsten got! She will always treasure it, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just sitting here crying...sigh....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a little history of the cute little teapot set, you might enjoy.
    Last year a friend of mine-won't mention name-was cleaning up and throwing out. She brought me over this cute little mice teapot set.She wondered if I knew someone to give them to. We both thought of E. C. I adore E. with all my heart, she is a sweet and giving young woman. So when
    I saw the teapot set, I was glad to see that they went to another adorable young woman, whom I also think a lot about.I hope she enjoys them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is, indeed, the kind of gift that will always be in the back of her mind, shaping the concept of gift and teaching her to treasure the small, graceful and whimsical. There are little points of magic in a life, and it the person living that life connects the dots, she can weave a life of wonder, gratitude and delight for herself. And if she does that, you know it will all spill over and bless the lives of the people around her.

    If I am reading this right, the young woman who rescued the mice in the first place knows this. And the girl who first received it is - I don't know, an elf, an angel - someone Gene Stratton Porter would have written about. LM Montgomery, too. E knows the magic in aspen trees and little streams and evening light.

    And now, she passes some of that magic on -

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!