Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Crackpot Tuesdays



Before I begin let me once again say, I am not a food blogger nor a photographer. With that said, I've a recipe to share but it doesn't go in a crackpot. I suppose you could put it in one as you can put pretty much anything and everything in one. I hear you can wash your socks in one.......something I hope to never have to try.

The recipe my eldest chose for yesterday had a tiny catch that I didn't catch in time. It would be step number one. Marinate all night long. SO, it marinated last night and will go in the crackpot today to which we'll report how it tasted. Crackpot is not supposed to = complicated and marinating over night is one too many steps in my opinion.....

Yesterday I told you I'd give you the recipe for the egg sausage bake thing. My baby sis told me she really liked it when I added photos telling how to make the noodles last time so I took photos this time too. Not every step but several steps along the way. Like I said, I'm not a food blogger even though I love....well......food!

Now that I've explained myself to death and y'all would just appreciate it if I'd just shut up and give you the recipe I will do so......Oh! One more thing. When I was growing up my mom would make something similar to this so a few years ago I came up with my own recipe...as close to hers as I could get it. So you see, it's tradition. Just ask The SM. You don't mess with tradition. I'm done now....

Christmas Morning Strata

2 Cups bread (homemade or french bread) cut into cubes. Enough to cover bottom of a sprayed 9 x 13 pan.
2 Cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
1 (4oz.) can diced gr. chili's,not drained
2 1/4 C. milk
10 eggs
1 Cup salsa (again, homemade if you can, if not, no biggy)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 tsp. grd. mustard
1 lb. grd. sausage cooked and drained



Brown your sausage and drain the grease off.



While sausage is browning, generously coat a 9x13 pan with baking spray. Cut bread into cubes and spread them out evenly on bottom of pan. Cover with half of the cheese and gr. peppers. I used wheat bread.



In a mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, salsa, and spices.



By now your sausage should be done. Add the sausage and then add the rest of the cheese and gr. peppers. (Wheat bread and sausage make a weird looking picture...)



Pour your egg and milk mix over the bread and sausage.



Cover your pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.



Take out of fridge a 1/2 hour before baking. Preheat oven at 400 degrees.



Bake for 1 hr. or until set meaning no more runny jiggly stuff......wish I could put myself in an oven for an hour to firm and brown things up a bit.

And there ya go! Top with salsa and sour cream, guacamole, diced onions, olives....what ever your big heart desires! We top ours with cinnamon rolls.

7 comments:

  1. That looks like a good Sunday morning breakfast. And topped with cinnamon rolls? Now THAT sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gerb, This would be perfect for Sunday morning. Especially if you're like us and have church at the nine o'clock block.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jody, My bro. in law seriously makes THEE best cinnamon to die for rolls ever! I could eat his morn., noon, and night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We suffered through the 9 am block last year. This year it's 11-2, but that just means we can sleep until 9 now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gerb, I pretend to complain about the 9 o'clock block but I actually prefer it. Especially with so many little ones. Home by lunch time and down for naps and still have time left in the day. We just got done with the 1 o'clock block and I hated that. Could be worse.....the 2 o'clock....

    Jody, Sadly......it is not my recipe to share. I'll see if I can get him to do a tutorial on my sisters blog. It's his families recipe and his mom used to make them to sell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummm...yum. I make a similar casserole, but without the salsa--that sounds like a great addition. I love salsa and eggs. They were made for each other. And your convoluted explanations are...well. Crackpot.

    :) Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori, :D That would be me. Crackpot. I agree with the salsa and eggs. When ever I have eggs I'm throwing on the salsa!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!