Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

The vent. It's an ongoing tradition.



Growing up tucked away in the mountains of Montana we lived in an old farmhouse. A farmhouse that was over a hundred years old when we lived there over twenty years ago for twenty some odd years.

In the winter it was absolutely freezing as there wasn't any heat upstairs. We had an oil furnace that was used on a limited basis. The main source of heat was a large wood stove that heated up the downstairs. The door to the upstairs remained closed and if we by chance forgot to close it, the heat would travel upstairs leaving the downstairs cold and us burning from a scolding.

We had to get up quite early as there were animals to be taken care of and things to do before school. Early in the morning means dark, frigid, sniff and the insides of your nose froze together when you were outside. I loved walking across the snow on those mornings because it was so cold and frozen you wouldn't break through.



On those cold and frigid mornings dad would take the coals that had slowly been burning down all night and restart the wood stove. We would all huddle under blankets waiting for the warmth to spread and wrap itself all around us. Some mornings it was so cold that dad would turn on the oil furnace until the fire got up and roaring hot. On those mornings.......it was a race. There was only one heater vent upstairs in the hall. Who ever got to it first,threw themselves across it, and topped themselves with a blanket capturing the heat inside like a cocoon. A cocoon of warmth while the rest of us who didn't win had to go back to our bedrooms and dress in the icy cold. But......if you won.....you could dress under your little blanket of a tent over the heater vent.



This morning after I roused the kids out of their warm beds and started them in the process of getting ready for school I noticed Mr. M missing. I knew were he was. That little stink had gone back to bed! He shares a room with a few other siblings one of which is his baby brother who I did NOT get up. Morning and cranky. You don't disturb cranky in the mornings. I tiptoed into the dark bedroom quietly hissing Mr. M's name. I went over to his bed and whisper yelled at him to get out of bed. Nothing. I whisper yelled a little louder for Mr. M to GET UP! Nothing. I poked the down comforter hissing that Mr. M needed to get up NOW. Nothing. About this time I hear a snicker behind me. I turn around and there laying on the heater vent with a blanket over him capturing the warmth was Mr. M.......who is not pictured as the room was too dark but I found another vent hogger that let me take her picture.

The heater vent lives on!............

13 comments:

  1. It was survival of the fittest when it came to vent hogging. Once I was over at a friends house and did that. Her dad started laughing at me and told me I would get warmer if I just started moving around. Whugh? How is that possible when I have nice hot air blowing right here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, Seriously? That is funny. Obviously!!!! Your friends dad doesn't know about vents!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The favored vents in our house are beneath the kitchen sink and under my computer table. It always cracks me up to see the kids curled into a ball there - especially my 10-year-old. The best thing is that they haven't discovered MY favorite vent... under the bathroom cabinet. I'm not sure why, but I like to sleep there when my husband is off on a scout trip with the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have that same tradition at our house.

    We use it as a reward for getting ready. If you are up and ready for school by a certain time, you get snuggle by the vent time the next school morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liesl's kids do this. It absolutely must come through the Recht genes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I lived in New York, my sister and I shared an upstairs bedroom. In front of the end of room window were two vinyl covered, heart backed, pink and white striped chairs. And between them was the heater vent. Every morning, I'd gather my clothes and push the chairs together and sleepily dress myself in the little cave between those chairs. I remember it SO clearly.

    When we built this house, it had vents, and we hovered over them,just the same way. But I hated the way the air was only striped with warmth throughout the house. So we bought the free-standing gas stove and set it on a hearth in the living room, and ever since, we have this GIANT "vent." You can sit on the hearth and get the heat blown over your WHOLE BACK.

    Definitely, - oh wait - I feel a metaphor coming on - it's really, really important to have a single, true source of heat for comfort. But really? I just wanna stay in bed till spring -

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jody, Do you have a vent big enough for Maxx??? I would think a vent would only warm up one of his toes. ;)

    Gerb, Does this mean you'll be sleeping there this weekend? Klondike time! Brian is the scoutmaster (SM) so there are lots of scout trips here. I'll have to remember the heater vent in the bathroom. The bathroom that I always use because it has a heater vent in it. The other bathrooms are FREEZING.

    Chastina, Now there's an idea! I'll have to remember that one. Keep it in my arsenal.

    Korrie, Definetly the 'wrecked' side. :D

    Kristen, What I absolutely hate is when the heat turns off and you are left with that dead cold feeling or when you're waiting for the heat to kick on and when it does it blasts you with cold air before it turns warm.....I have to say sitting on your hearth getting a steady stream of nice warm air all over my back is pretty high up there on a list of favorite things to do. Might have something to do with the company too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the vent in the downstairs bathroom. Since the door always manages to shut itself, that little bathroom is always incredibly toasty on chilly days...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. Z, Which is why I always use the bathroom that I do. Thank goodness for vents in bathrooms which make them toasty and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our scout troop/crew do their own "klondike", they call it the Alpine Challenge and they aren't going until early February. Allen & I are on the scout committee and we own a large vehicle, therefore Allen gets to drive and attend all the scout camps. He never seems to complain, though...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gerb, We call "Clifford" our red suburban the scout mobile. It's been on many a scout adventure for many years. I do believe......it will be many more years before we're out of scouting.....sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the spots on the floor that have our heating tubes (or whatever the real term is) running under them. It's so unusual to have my feet warm around here in the winter! Next time maybe I'll grab a blanket and snuggle up on the floor instead of just standing there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gina, The Eldredges have heat under their kitchen tile floor. It feels so good on your bare feet in the winter. So weird to be standing on tile flooring and have it be warm.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!