Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Crackpot Tuesdays


Photo by Taste of Home

Male Native number three was the picker/chooser of yesterdays crackpot meal and he chose Hobo Meatball Stew



Now folks, I realize I'm a little slow and all.....and there's a lot of space that could be put to good use between my ears but I'm just plumb puzzled looking at the photo from Taste of Home and the photo from Taste of Rachel.....

Let's play a game. One of those games you play in kindergarten. What's different about these photos? I mean besides the obvious....different bowls, a chunk of bread thrown into ours.... What is missing?

I'll give you a hint. Look at the list of ingredients. As you look at the list of ingredients maybe you can guess why this one didn't rate so high for us either. The younger Natives loved it. Who wouldn't? Everything tastes better smothered in ketchup right? The older Natives, The SM, and I felt it was a shady three stars. Only because I doctored it up a bit. As in... a lot! And even then.....it wasn't fabulous as far as stews go.



Not to mention, if you're going to go through all of the trouble of taking raw hamburger meat, rolling it into balls,



throwing it into a pan,



and browning it on all sides it better be in something like meatballs with barbecue sauce that sits and cooks on low all day long so the meatballs are covered in candied sugar basically!

Me, I'd rather roll balls of cake and dip them in chocolate!!!

Peas. There's the answer. Not that it would have made a difference in the stew. It just had me puzzled for a moment. Thankfully, I have a short attention span so I wasn't tripped up about it for too long. For all of you OCD people out there, hope I didn't ruin your day. Let it go.............Taste of Home did!

And now, if the images of raw hamburger haven't completely grossed you out, I would like to share with you a conversation I had with Native number 4. Mr. M

Mr. M: Mom! This is SO GROSS! I was playing with (we'll call him youngest)and he was laughing so hard because I was tickling him and I was laughing so hard and youngest drooled cuz he was laughing so hard and I was laughing so hard it went in my mouth! It was SO SICK MOM!

Me: (laughing) M, that is disgusting! I'd have puked!

Mr. M: I almost did! It was just sick man.

Me: No, if you'd have puked then I'd have puked and THEN that would be sick cuz you'd have to clean it up....man!

Mr. M: That's not funny mom.

11 comments:

  1. Also, they cut their carrots in half, and they filled their bowl up more and probably scooped up the stew closest to the bottom of the pot so that they got the most sauce they could - glistening in all its sugary glory. It LOOKS good. But if I'm going to eat bushels of sugar, I want orange chicken.

    And no drool on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummy!

    One of my husband's favorite games is to hold the kids down and pretend that he is going to drool in his/her mouth. Gross!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, I agree and umm thanks. I'm now craving orange chicken.

    Chastina, That is warped! My toes are curling at the thought as my face makes oogy growdy distortions.

    Jody, The more meat......the better I say!!! Bring on the beef baby! I can eat anyone under the table at Ticano's or Rodizio's (sp?) Grill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, Your post honestly made me want to heave. Raw meat(esp. hamburger) and I are like oil and vinegar; we DO NOT mix. I use gloves when I have to deal with it. Not to mention the swallowing your brother's drool part...
    LOL. I love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalie, raw meat and drool make you want to hurl? And you call yourself a nurse....... :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, a nurse that hasn't worked in 7 years and prefers the teaching/clinic setting as opposed to the hospital setting. Yes, I am a wimp. Although, I love poking people. I loved giving shots and and I still check out people's veins for IV access and blood draw ease. Warped I know, but old habits die hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The meatballs look good to me right now, sugar or no sugar. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously, ketchup? That looked SO good until I saw that as a main ingredient for the soupy part. I guess that's where the 'Hobo' in the title comes in? Because we all know that Hobos love their ketchup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natalie, A cursed vampire! ;)

    Gina, They weren't bad. Just time consuming for ketchup soup.

    Gerb, Exactly! Disgusting ketchup soup/stew.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What!?! No peas!?!? That's just horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathy, I know!!!! Shisha will be so disappointed.......

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!