Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I'm a Non-Conformist!

For those of you that are familiar with Face Book you know that you can type in a status report for all to see. Just a few words like, "I just saw Avatar and it was SO COOL MAN!" Or like I did last night, "I've been off of sugar now for three weeks and I'm feeling really ornery and feel like ripping someones head off!" Something to the effect of that........

And people can comment on your status report or they can just read it and know that our household was not one you'd want to come and visit last night or you'd get your head ripped off!

It's a fun way of keeping in touch. It is also a way to find out that your niece is okay after rolling her car. GASP! Some things are not fun to find out over Face Book but I'm so glad she was okay!!!!

Anyway, every so often in someones status they'll put a quote and then at the end tell you if you agree to copy and paste it in your own status. There was one that really bugged me. It had to do with being Christian and how only like 2% would actually forward the status on and was I one who was brave enough to do so?

Kind of like the e-mails you get that talk about something "special" and then say if you believe in God forward it on but only if you've got the guts kind of thing.

Well, when that happens.....and it seems to be happening a lot lately, something ugly rears up in me and I refuse! I refuse to do it. You heard me correct. No way ho-zay! I aint a gonna do it! I don't care if I believe and feel deeply that the status report or e-mail is correct or right in line with my thinking, I won't do it.

If the status or e-mail were sent and that last little, "I dare ya" weren't in there I'd be more inclined to hit the "like" or "forward" button but because someone had to go and say........"DO THIS......if....."

It turns me off and I delete or ignore.......I'm stubborn that way.....and it puzzles me as to why.

16 comments:

  1. I think this reaction is rather akin to the one I have to commercials: CALL NOW!! (reaction: the hell I will.) Buy THIS (Don't tell me what to do brutha.) Neither one of us like total strangers bossing us around. Or anybody else for that matter - except Geneva.

    The other thing is, my spiritual beliefs are not part of a game. They aren't on a par with chain letters. And I don't have to prove my testimony by passing on some stupid quote. It has nothing to do with courage. It has to do with a sense of appropriateness. If there is "soldiering for Christ" to be done, to sound protestant, in my life it will be done quietly, where it counts, not on Facebook, flag waving and pounding my chest, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. Sometimes if I really like a quote or e-mail and want to forward it I will remove the part that dares the person to forward it then send it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too, skip out on those... They feel really weird to me, and I know I don't have to prove anything to anybody! Besides, cutting and pasting someone else's message, hardly proves anything noteworthy about yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I delete so many emails without even reading them because I know what's coming. It disturbs me to think this trend is moving into FB. I think we should take action against this. Let's start a campaign to prevent obnoxious email practices from invading FB. Unfortunately, it would probably require writing a status about it and challenging others to post it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "K" said it best!!!! Can't say it better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen, There ya go. You hit it right on. I don't need to prove my love for country, soldiers, husband, children, faith, etc. by passing something on. I do that in my own quiet (HA! Me quiet--sorry I digress)way in my actions and the things I teach my children. At least I hope I do.

    Chastina, I like that idea. That would come across a whole lot less offensive to me. I would even be more willing to hit the "like" button. :)

    Corine, Exactly! Just what are we saying when all we do is cut and paste? It reminds me of the Dr. Seuss book/movie where everyone wanted a star on their belly....

    Kathy, LOL! Doesn't work does it? Because you're right. We'd be doing that which we don't like and then we'd be GASP hypocrites.

    Virginia, She did a pretty good job of summing it all up didn't she?

    Jody, It does seem to be getting a bit out of control on FB doesn't it? Question? This sentence bugs me. "Doesn't it?" works but "does not it" doesn't.......

    I should not be writing comments so early in the morning.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate those too!! I'm with my mom on this, I think she's hit it on the head.

    There's a lady at Kris's work that's a Christian. I'm not sure what denomination, but anyway she goes around doing things like giving all the other people at work a CD with a hellfire and damnation sermon on it. She puts up propaganda from her church in the hospital, which runs entirely off funds from the Catholic church. Etc, etc.
    Anyway, I don't want to be that kind of person. I want to be a good example of my life, and let other people feel that I'm happy and find out why if they want to. Does that make sense?
    A little off topic, but anyway, that's what it made me think of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ginna, But that is what makes a "statement" the most powerful don't you think? I could sit on my front porch and as you say, speak hellfire and damnation (What am I saying? I do! LOL!) But if that is all I do and my actions do not back it up......

    Just because I don't forward something doesn't mean I don't believe in it. If I do.....you'll know......by my actions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I am not alone. Looky at all these non conformists! It makes me want to start chanting or something...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Natalie, I can hear ya chantin' from here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you answer your question at the end with your title at the beginning.

    Let's hear it for non-conformity!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gerb, I do don't I! I'm so dang smart I answer my questions before I ask them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rachel--I actually went hunting for you on FB this morning, but couldn't find you...look me up! Lori Wray White. ;)

    I'm so with you on this. It's really the kind of behavior that has given Christianity a bad name in recent years--it's reduced it to ridicule, taken away its sovereignty and dignity. It's obnoxious, and, like K said--my faith is not a game, or a challenge, or a dare to me. If don't feel the need to prove it to anyone. At the end of the day, I am answerable to one authority, and He knows my heart. He knows that it belongs, unequivocally, to Him. I bear witness to that in many different ways--in the way I say a silent, unobtrusive grace over my meal in a public restaurant, or when I stop and offer a ride to the waitress at Vinnie's when I see her walking that last mile.

    This other crup...all it is is white noise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lori, Well said. I agree whole heartedly. My oldest son and I were talking the other day about a certain group of people who act a certain way because they want the world to know that they are (put label here). I told Brennan that there are many people in the world who have the same label but do not feel like they have to wear it like a badge on their foreheads. Which is more offensive? Which is more likeable? Obviously, the ones who are not so, "in your face"! The ones who as you say go about quietly being themselves and that speaks volumes.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!