Making memories one day at a time.......and then I write about it.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Crackpot Tuesdays



Remember how last week I botched the Crackpot Tuesday and said I'd report? I'm reporting: It stunk and wasn't worth posting. It was so salty it shriveled and shrunk our insides so we all look like this. If you should happen to see us out and about please do me a favor and soak us in some water. I was short before....now I can't reach the kitchen table. Makes life complicated.


Photo by Taste of Home

Native numbre dos chose Pork Chili. I wish I had taken my own photos of this meal because for once, Taste of Home doesn't do the chili any justice. Looking at the photo it looks like a greasy bowl of store bought canned chili that has been sitting out in the cold too long.

This chili was given four stars by all. Very good. If we were a more generous family we'd probably give it five stars but if you give something five stars.....then there's nothing above five stars......so for something to get five stars in this family it has to be out of this world, can't be topped, no room for improvement, WOW! In other words, the main ingredient needs to be chocolate.

Speaking of chocolate may I vent for a minute? I can? Oh thank you. I sure appreciate it when you let me blow some steam.

As you all know (and if you don't....you're not missing anything) I have been fighting chronic West Nile Virus for a long time. Going into my fourth year. The SM this entire time has been working tirelessly? No, he gets tired. (Think "Lorenzo's Oil" and you get the idea.) Trying to find a cure for me. Every spare minute he's got, he is researching, studying, studying, researching...you get the idea.

So, the latest is he has me on the Candida diet. When he told me what the diet consisted of I told him to go and jump in the lake that is a few miles away. Yeah! I know it's winter. I'm fully aware that it is sub zero temperatures. The diet makes that shriveled up raisin up top look plump! Being the kind of man that The SM is he said he'd do it with me for moral support. We'd do it for two months and just see how I felt.

Okay, well.......misery loves company right? WRONG! There's no company here. Oh yeah sure. He's doing the diet along with me and I'll admit here and now we're not doing it to lose weight. That isn't the purpose of this diet but that is exactly what is happening to The SM! He's losing and weight and.......oh yeah baby you guessed it! I'm GAINING!!!!!

So not only am I off sugar (translation: CHOCOLATE), I'm off yeast, and vinegar. Do you know how many foods out there have those ingredients in them? I sit and chew on cardboard all day.....and I gain weight from it.....

We've been on this diet now for about two weeks......it's been a really cranky two weeks.....

11 comments:

  1. Don't you hate that about men! Ugh! Frustrating. Although my dear, I believe you could stand to gain a pound or two and still look like the marvelously, fabulous, Rachel. And if the diet doesn't provide them, I know where you can find a spare 5-10(um, ok...15) pounds...my thighs, butt, and belly would be more than happy to share. :)
    Oh yeah, the chili looks delish; I think I gained a lb just by looking at the pic (it does look greasy).

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you gain weight without bread (yeast) and chocolate (sugar)? I mean, those two things, combined with dairy products, are what I LIVE on. What is there left to eat? I can't think of anything but rabbit food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie, Are you kidding me? You give me 5,10,15 pounds and you'll have nothing left! You look wonderful!

    Gerb, Exactly! Vegetables and protein.....protein I can do but veggies.....they are truly not my favorite and I love fruit but fruit is out because of sugar. It's painful and apparently you can gain weight on painful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like doing things like diets with my husband because it makes it easier for me to stick with it. But when he looses pounds and I don't do anything or gain it is very upsetting!

    Maybe you're gaining muscle and that is why you're gaining weight?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh Rachel, I know exactly what you are going through. My doctor put me on that diet last year when I was diagnosed with chronic Lyme Disease. I did it for a month. I did see improvement. Candida goes hand in hand with a lot of illnesses. I was able to also lose 13 pounds doing the diet. I can't believe that you have gained weight, considering what you are able to actually eat! I am actually getting ready to go off sugar again completely. It is very hard, but in the long run I know it makes me feel a whole lot better. Good luck and let me know how things are going. If you need any tips on making things taste better, etc. Let me know. We figured out some things that were good for snacks when we were craving a treat. Take Care, Chrystal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chastina, Ummm, pretty sure it isn't muscle. :D Muscle doesn't jiggle and dimple.

    Chrystal, Oh please by all means. If you've got snacks that taste good PLEASE!!! I'm gaining weight if I have to be honest WHICH I DON'T WANNA is because my hubby is snacking on things like carrots and I'm going for the chips, crackers, cream cheese........ :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. The boys' picture is great! Is there such a thing as too much salt? It's dad's fault. I also salt my cottage cheese and put hot sauce on it. Can't be helped, I'm certifiable. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate how easy it is for guys to lose weight. Kory lost almost as much weight as I did after I had my baby. sure it was easy to drop a few pounds after the baby because...well... there was a baby in me. but he just lost weight- just because. Good luck with the diet. I hope the 2 months go by faster than your first 2 weeks have felt. I'm sure you'll be losing the weight fast. There is no way you couldn't with all those restrictions. but most of all, I hope you can figure something out from it.

    You don't need to lose any weight anyway. You already look amazing. And even more amazing knowing you've had 7 kids. AMAZING I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lor, Now take that cottage cheese with the salt and pepper sauce and add more black pepper to it and then dip corn tortillas into it as a dip and you'll see why I am gaining instead of losing.....Uh huh!

    Krisit, It's disgusting isn't it? You are such a sweetie. I could hug you right now for your comment. You're right. I've had seven kids but I have NEVER looked as great as you have looked both preggo and after. You're gorgeous honey!!! Kory did awesome choosing you and I am SO glad you could see past all of his faults :D and say yes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I refuse to this load of Rachel-reassurance. Look in the mirror, honey. Then screw your eyes shut and try to remember what I look like. Superimpose that vision on what you saw in the mirror. Uh-huh. Pity from me? Legs kicking in the air; tears running down the face.

    Now about men losing weight while we gain it under the exact same conditions: somebody want to explain to me why all pharmaceuticals are tested exclusively on men?????????????

    Tsk. Tsk. Women still don't count in the big bad world. Even when it comes to our safety and health.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kristen, It's all relative honey. It's all relative.....

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead..you know ya wanna comment!